50 State large X-Carve

Hello Everyone,
My name is Greg Kent and I am the Technology Coordinator at Kailua Elementary School. Our school has received the large X-Carve kit and I have recently finished building it. I have run 2 test cuts and am troubleshooting to figure out the issues.

I have really enjoyed the process so far and the students are so excited.
Here is a link to a little video I made when the X-carve arrived.
[https://youtu.be/TgaHjfM_MKI]

Below is the enclosure I built based off the one built by Corey Alexander.

I am excited to connect with everyone!!

7 Likes

Nice enclosure and I really like the strip lighting inside of it.

1 Like

Thanks Grant,
Corey Alexander and Bob Claggett really inspired me.

That is a very nice enclosure, but what are you doing about dust collection? Chips on the rails, belts and in the vwheels can really cause havoc.

1 Like

I would highly suggest looking at one of the Y axis stiffening mods. the 30 or 60min mods are the easiest to do and they have a huge effect on how well your mill will work. I think with the kids it will be important to give it a go on the mod so the mill will perform better and they will have fewer issues while milling. Might help keep them involved longer and help your budget int he long run with fewer failures. I have been working with a robotics class out in Orange Country CA and they saw a big increase in completed projects and few issues once they did the simple 30min Y axis stiffening mod on their 1000mm XC.

I also second the post from @AllenMassey for dust collection. Do you have access to a 3D printer at the school? I can point you to a few items that might help if you can have them 3D printed.

1 Like

Thank you @Travelphotog! and @AllenMassey Any and all resources would be greatly appreciated. I do have access to a 3D printer. I started looking at the Y and X mods to stiffien up the chassis and am thinking about purchasing aluminum angle to stiffen the sides.

We are about the purchase the Fein vacuum from Instructables and I will run that ASAP.

Thank you!!

1 Like

really nice enclosure. I’ve been considering building one myself. Now I may have to use yours as an example.

1 Like

Hi @GlennCoates,
Thank you! I went with this design because it is in a room with computers, robotics, and students and I wanted to be able to control the sound and dust and let students get as close as possible to the action.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg

It looks great Greg!

2 Likes

Thanks @JohnDaugherty3! This month the 2nd and 5th graders will use the X-Carve!

1 Like

That’s one heck of a box!

1 Like

Aloha Greg,

I’m also in Kailua, I am so happy to see the XCarve in your students’ hands. I wanted to ask you about the enclosure’s ability to muffle the noise from the DeWalt, do you think it is worth building the enclosure purely for its ability to quiet the router noise?

John

Hey John,
Please come check it out if you have a chance!. The router is much quieter with the enclosure. We are lucky enough have a parent that is an acoustic engineer and has offered to help us with quieting the vacuum. But the real reason for the enclosure is dust control and safety. If you want to experience it in person just shoot me an email at gkkent@gmail.com and we can set up a time.

Mahalo
Greg

YES!!! That would be great. Shoot me an email and we can figure out dates/times. Forum for the win!!

Greg

gkkent@gmail.com

Just emailed you Greg.

Aloha
John

1 Like

Sounds good Bob. I just emailed Greg, so he has my email address. I think he will start a side conversation to arrange when/where.

John

1 Like