A curse on the person who created Windows 10 auto update

I’m sure this is a known issue with Windows 10 users, but I haven’t had enough coffee yet this morning to look for previous threads and I’d rather just complain. :smiley:

Last night I was in the middle of a finishing carve on a clock face I was making. By halfway through the finish pass I was 6 hours in to the carve including the roughing. Nice piece of smooth poplar that I spent about $30 on. Went inside the house for about 20 minutes to grab a brew and then went back out to check on it again. I stopped cold when I noticed the router stopped in mid air. Profanity started first as a mumble and then rose to an ear splitting tirade. My wife stuck her head out in the garage to make sure a bit hadn’t just broken off and flown through the side of her new Kia. Open the lid of my connected laptop (I keep it closed to keep dust off of it…I have sleep mode disabled) and see the bright cheery screen, “Windows has just installed new updates…Please wait while your system is configured.” It should go without saying that if Bill Gates had walked in to my garage at that moment, I would have kicked him in the teeth. Yes, I know he’s old and probably hasn’t actually touched Windows programming in about 20 years, but somebody needed to be kicked. I certainly wasn’t going to kick my X-Carve or the wife’s new Kia.

So…always make certain you disable Windows 10 automatic updates on your X-Carve connected computers. Unfortunately they don’t make it easy. Rather than fumble around trying to find the proper settings, I just disconnected the wifi on my connected laptop. You can’t download an update of any sort if you’re not connected to the Internet. Easy fix. Too bad I didn’t think of that 6 hours earlier.

That’s my rant. I actually feel better now. :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, I know that rehoming and starting over is always an option, but I’ve tried this a few times due to other failures (twice for broken bits and another time when I tripped over the power chord and unplugged it) and I’ve never been pleased with the result. I can never get it to follow the exact path it had been previously carving, no matter how precise I am with homing. It’s always off by a half millimeter one direction or another which can screw up everything else and consume even more precious machine time. I find it easier just to toss the stock and start all over unless the failure happens very early in the roughing carve.

Robert, what block are you using and who’s script for zeroing? Oh BTW. where are you at? Grande Prairie Alberta here.
Russell

As Robert said, a three axis block can help with this. As long as the work piece itself hadn’t been moved, the three axis block would reset the zero position extremely close to the same spot, if not the same spot, and should allow for resuming. It may be a bit of air cutting for awhile but it’d resume.

I’ve actually done a roughing carve, removed the piece from my machine, carved a few other boards (avoiding swapping bits all the time) and then put the piece back on the machine, used my Triquetra and then did the detail pass. The only issue I had was I didn’t square a board properly once for the roughing pass (it was not parallel to the X axis) so the detailed pass had some weird issues when I put the board back on parallel to the X axis.

I’ve also been bitten by the auto-update “feature”. In my case, it has ruined quite a few overnight test executions at work (18 hour test time) and it is evil evil evil. First thing to get disabled.

I just home and probe and scribble xyz on the corner of my work.

1 Like