A workbench for my x-carve (finally)

I had been planning an elaborate cantilever system to hoist my x-carve up into the ceiling of my workshop but since I moved house earlier this year I have more space at home so yesterday decide to bring it home, and build a workbench.

This is as far as I got on Saturday.

The first test of it’s structural integrity was to see whether it could support a pint of cider, and I was pleased that it did but I tested it a couple more times just to be sure!

Now to build all the drawers, cupboards, cable routing and dust collection…loads of work but satisfying.

3 Likes

The cider looks level to me… you might want to try just one more to be 100% sure. :slight_smile:
Great work… happy Carving…

1 Like

Cider levels rule! Wait, wasn’t that a movie? :smiley:

1 Like

I used to have my x carve in a corner…I recently moved it to have access to 3 sides.

My X-Carve is in a corner but is on locking castors so I can move it about it I need to - usually to pickup a dropped tool.

Hi Jay, I know what you mean and so the workbench is on lockable castors. Once I’ve figured out my design for a new mitre saw station I should have room the bring it away from the corner, assuming my plans are correct. Hopefully I should have enough room to access all four sides if needed.

sweet. I would love to do a mobile station. Just don’t have a lot of time to even use my x carve let alone desogn and make a mobile table…lol I want to get a folding stand for my miter saw.

i’m about to put together my own table as well.

do you have a plan for this one or some pictures at different agles? I really like the design of it.

also, what are you using for the top?

nice work.

Hi Glenn, it’s a long way from finished but I’ll mock up a drawing of the build so far. Like so many tinkerers I made it up as I went along, allowing for experience with previous projects.

For the tabletop I used four 25mm thick pieces of laminated chip/fibre board, each 600mm x 600mm. Why four pieces? Well, my company was chucking out some old desks and so I set about salvaging the best bits, hence the dimensions. I hadn’t planned it that way but it turned out perfectly for a 1200mm x 1200mm table.

I then used contact adhesive to laminate a single piece of flooring vinyl, which I salvaged from a skip. A local veterinary practice was being refurbished and a new floor put down, so I was able to grab a decent offcut roll. It’s 2mm thick and very hard wearing (in theory).

It’s otherwise all held together using wood glue and pocket screws.

1 Like