About the Schools category

This category is for information related to 3D carving in schools.

Category guidelines and rules:

• Why should people use this category? What is it for?
    It is intended as a resource for educators to share knowledge, best practices, meet other educators and ask questions.

• How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?
    It’s focused on education, educators, parents of students and people that want to help in the field of education.

• What should topics in this category generally contain?

• Example curriculums
  • 3D carving in the classroom tips
  • How to build MakerLab in a school
  • How to associate 3D carving lessons to the common core
  • How to get funding support internally at a school
  • School or education based events and conferences
5 Likes

Hi!

I am posting this here as it seemed to be the best fit for the question.

We are just in the process of finishing up some final details, but our goal is to run CNC classes for kids in the area during our slow times. We have a weekend coming up that we are going to walk through the whole process with a local family that graciously donated their kids to be test subjects :slight_smile: (the kid’s are very excited ! )

I was wondering how a teacher handles the projects from multiple students?

Is the only way to be able to keep all the projects separate to give each student their own Easel account and then share the project with us? What if there needs to be design changes to the original project?

We would love to hear about your experience, pitfalls , suggestions and ideas!

My local Education Service Unit just opened up a makerspace that includes a Carvey. Because we have restrictions on software that allows students to share information, the ESU set up an Easel account that all the students use (this keeps the kid’s info safe). Then they have them name their projects with a specific format (I think name and date, ex. SusanSmith10_11). Then they write their file name on a form. This way if the project takes a long time to carve the ESU staff can run it for them and they know which order to carve them.

I do something similar when we do 3D printing but I create classes in Google Classroom and have them submit their files there. I’m not sure if Easel files can be downloaded to a machine but this might be a good workflow solution to incorporate as well.

I’d be interested to hear how others handle this issue…

1 Like

Hello,

I am also looking to integrate Carvey and X-Carve into my middle school Design and Modeling class. I am wrestling with how to setup accounts. I don’t like the idea of one account that all students can access. Too many possible issues with students impacting the work of others. But even if I used the one account approach, there are major issues regarding federal laws (COPPA, CIPA) protecting students.

I started filling out our district paperwork to approve Easel for student use so they could create their own accounts, but realized there is a major issue: the forum. Various federal laws require us to protect student privacy and safety. Has Inventables considered making a “Education” version of Easel? Ideally, this version would:

• allow student accounts to be linked to a teacher account for monitoring
  • absolutely no access to shared content that could be considered problematic
  • Prevent any access to the forums
  • A clear privacy policy

Let me know if I am missing something already available, but would love to see (and help) a Education version of Easel.

Thanks
Kevin Hakes Miller