Acrylic sign success. 12 x 24 in. on the 500mm X-Carve

I made this sign for my grandson’s other grandpa since we both ride bikes. Here’s the settings for those who want to know. 12in by 24in by 0.25in cell cast acrylic from ebay. Cut depth .025, depth per pass 0.01, travel 100in/min, spindle speed 17000 (setting 3 on my Makita trim router). I lied to Easel by telling it I was using a 1/32 bit when I was really using a 1/16. That got rid of all the little red uncutable places on the chain. The bit was a single flute upcut from Drillman1 on ebay.

29 Likes

That looks awsom,great job.Been doing a couple of acrylic jobs but they turned out horrendous, melted acrylic all over the place.Thanks for sharing, will try your settings :+1::slight_smile:

It was done in three stages. The three images were turned sideways with the bottom of the image to the left on Easel. I homed in the lower left corner. aligned each section with the bottom of the graphic at the 2in line on easel and the side at the 1in. line from the bottom on easel. after the right sign was carved I was sure to position the acrylic with the already carved part about a half in forward of the 1in mark on the waste board so the distance between each section looked appropriate.

man that is sweet!!! but the Diet Dr. Pepper? your killing me lol

I really like the fact that you did the cut in 3 stages that is really using you machine to its full advantage i like it are you planning on putting an led light under the sign?

One more thing. To help in keeping the acrylic from melting and clogging my bit I connected a CPAP hose and moved it on my shop vac from suck to blow.

4 Likes

I would love to get my hands on the chain link easel file and the harley logo is at all possible let me know :smiley:

I’ve been doing woodworking for 45 years and I always put a can of soda in pictures of my projects to give a size perspective. (When I was younger it used to be a beer)

7 Likes

hey that works for me your right it does do that

My email is erjl49@live.com. send me your email and i will send you the svg files.

oh nice okay here it is 2qtbd5+156z4jgjt14oo@guerrillamail.biz sorry for the long email lol

thank you i have been looking for a clear harley logo for awhile

it may have come in your spam folder with that type of email that i gave you lol

Oh man… How on earth did you end up with such a horrible email address?

lol its a email encryption service its a real pain sometimes

Great job, thanks for posting.

Nice!

That is really sharp!

Really clean I think lies on bit size are a big plus, kinda wish Easel would just allow an override instead of not cutting it due to red line.

What software did you use to get it to look clean like you would see from a laser raster?
Love the piece. Great work btw.

I made this sign for my grandson's other grandpa since we both ride bikes. Here's the settings for those who want to know. 12in by 24in by 0.25in cell cast acrylic from ebay. Cut depth .025, depth per pass 0.01, travel 100in/min, spindle speed 17000 (setting 3 on my Makita trim router). I lied to Easel by telling it I was using a 1/32 bit when I was really using a 1/16. That got rid of all the little red uncutable places on the chain. The bit was a single flute upcut from Drillman1 on ebay.
 Since I made the sign I've changed my technique to using a 60 degree V bit and my cut depth to 0.02 instead of 0.025. I also set my Makita to it's slowest speed. I used the Easel software available at Inventables website. To create my SVG, I use any graphics program . Create a black and white line art type image. Save it as a BMP file Then I use a free program called CR8tracer to convert to SVG then import into Easel. Another not free but inexpensive program to convert images to vector images is Vector Magic.

This happened the first time I tried cutting acrylic. Plastic wrapped around the bit and about ruined it. This might be because I was using the wrong bit? (1/8 down spiral)

Since then I have removed the plastic and had good results with the same bit.

1 Like