Allen Wrench Caddy 2.0

I love my Craftsman ball-end T-handle allen wrench set. But my pet peeve is that they don’t come with a caddy, and nobody makes generic caddies without the wrenches included, and if they did, they likely wouldn’t have the right size holes to match my set.

So, when I bought my drill press I made a caddy as a first project out of some scrap plywood.

It was pretty effective, but it was too narrow and the wrenches are very top-heavy so it toppled over a lot.

Well, with my X-Carve I decided to update the design making it a little wider and here’s the result.

I will likely change this design even more, as the middle holes didn’t have nearly enough support material and cracked and blew out and needed to be glued. Also, the holes for the wrenches themselves needed to be about .2mm larger than the wrench to allow some tolerance and make it a bit easier to slide them in and out. As do the holes for the threaded rods.

Also of note: the larger holes are set up as outlines, while the smaller holes are pockets. At first I cut everything as pockets and it took 2 hours to cut one piece. The new strategy cut the time in half, but left me with a bunch of awkward tabs to cut out and flatten. Easel really needs the option to adjust where and how many tabs it uses. Some of the triangles had 4 tabs on them, the tabs themselves were of varying widths, and it put them sometimes in corners or around the arc of a circle where removing and shaping the wood attractively would be next to impossible. I feel like this may have contributed to the tearout problems I had in the middle holes.

All in all it was a great project and I’m very happy that the machine is tuned well and humming along wonderfully after some bumps getting started. It’s a fun journey learning about the limits of the machine and the materials, getting better each time, and most of all making real things from computer designs.

7 Likes

Sexayyy! Surprised you didn’t go with wooden vertical supports instead of the threaded rods, but it looks great regardless.

And to this day I’m still having to run “v2” of many of my projects because I forget to leave a “real world” gap after I draw up my pieces, so I’m always going back in and bumping up slots/holes by a couple hundredths of an inch :smile:

1 Like

This amazing, Mike! Any chance you could post it as a project so other can re-make your design?

@Mike, this is great! Thanks for sharing this. I really like the mixed medium construction.

1 Like

I made this just for you :slight_smile:

https://www.inventables.com/projects/allen-wrench-holder

I wasn’t sure exactly how far to space the middle layer out, and using the threaded rod and nut approach gives me the flexibility to change it if I need to. I had considered using aluminum tubing cut to size and slid over the rod, but that meant cutting LOTS of tubing to EXACT sizes and it just aint that important to me :smiley:

Honestly this looks so cool it makes me want to go out and buy a set of T-handle allen wrenches :smiley: Maybe I’ll have to see if I have enough screwdrivers or something to make a project like this…

1 Like

Sweet, it will super cool in Aluminum !!! Did you try ?

I haven’t worked up to playing with Aluminum yet. I wanna get pretty good at cutting wood first.

Great project! I’m in the same boat with the aluminum. Super anxious to try it, but still working out the idiosyncrasies of cutting wood first. Keep up the good work!

That’s an awesome project, well done! You should see if they will let you submit it as one of the 100 for 100 projects.

Thanks! I submitted it a few days ago and it was accepted!

1 Like

Awesome, congrats!