Aluminum projects and higher feeds

Few projects that I’ve been working on and adding more mods to my x carve. Next will be a new z axis upgrade and y axis swaps to the upgraded x axis makerslide rails. Using a 269 for the x axis and is helping with faster feed rates.

5 Likes

Extremely impressive results! Were these projects done mainly with a stock machine?

I’m genuinely curious about your thought process regarding using the wide makerslide for the y-axis rails. What’s the main motivation there?

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah mostly stock other then the new maker slide one piece and then white belts that have the steel braided in it. A few other people have done the makerslide for the y because it’s super solid and then adding like bracing for like how everyone would make brackets for the one piece setups will make it completely solid. I still need to build Phil’s demon mod for the controller and get a more solid piece for a z axis since I’m still using the stock z axis setup.

1 Like

Just wanting to be able to get more speeds and projects done in aluminum that gives what a larger cnc or mill production machines that can make useable products to sell. Those emblems only took a few mins to do and on larger pieces it would be great to have a few hours to make something. The coast guard piece took about 8 hours to v carve which wasn’t bad because when I first went with like easels speeds to go make it it said it was like 24-38 hours which is insane if something happens during carving or like a power surge that’s so much wasted time.

1 Like

Great work! Do you use just V bits for the carves? I’m hoping to start experimenting with aluminum and brass as soon as all the current orders I have are complete. I’ve got a couple people wanting several challenge coins.

1 Like

I used the small 1/8 v bit from inventables and then the 1/4 cutter for aluminum or harder materials to do the cutouts. Yeah mostly my cnc is stock other then larger motor for the x and white belts that I’ve been using. Still have more upgrades to buy once I get more funds from jobs.

2 Likes

Nice looking work.

Are you getting any chatter on your cuts? I’m asking because of the scallop patterns in the sides of your cuts.

1 Like

On some because I’m going a lot faster then the stock speeds like what easel has and basic ones people say to use. I still have to make my plates for the 2inch rise and the mods for the rails to make it not wobble on the x axis. Also a z axis upgrade because I still have the stock one.

1 Like

Thanks! What kind of step over are you using for such clean cuts with the v bit?

1 Like

I’ll have to see what it is when I get back to my shop . I know I had it small for the clearing pass and then the final one was like really small to clean it up.

2 Likes