Anyone here planning to upgrade to larger CNC

For the most part I want something much more rigid, with a proper spindle instead of a hand router. The ability to use half-inch bits and greatly higher feeds without worrying about having a belt go on me or an eccentric work loose will be a major improvement as well.

I’m planning to most likely keep my X-Carve as a V-carving machine for making signs, etc, and use the Laguna for heavy profiling, long-duration runs that burn out routers, aluminum, etc.

Really, the rigidity and better spindle are my key points. Plus an integrated system that doesn’t require a separate sender, etc. Something I can just post, put in, and run would be awesome.

3 Likes

Since I currently have the 500mm X-carve I guess that qualifies me to be one who is planning on moving to a larger CNC machine, however, larger for me is probably 1500mm x 1500 mm. This would allow a 4 ft x 4 ft material size and if you really wanted to go big you could tile a 4 x 8 sheet through the Y axis.

So, I too would like a more robust machine. Much better frame (stability), true spindle supported properly (not hanging off the side of a rail), ball screws (no belts), alternate method for tensioning the movement (no eccentric nuts/spacers), maybe double the Z range of motion.

Just a wild ■■■ guess, it might be possible in the $2000 - $2500 (kit) range as the selling point.

While I’m dreaming a fourth axis lathe would be nice, but not included in the price guess.

I think I want to buy them in bulk from @AngusMcleod. Do you offer bulk discounts or free shipping :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@LarryM what you are describing is an area of investigation for us.

One question that keeps popping up is around weight and delivery. Would you expect it to come UPS or are you thinking it would come via common carrier with a lift gate?

Do you have a way to get something that heavy into your shop?

Are you still planning to use a belt drive that is over 8 feet long?

Not for the machine @LarryM is talking about.

@Zach_Kaplan

I hadn’t really considered weight and delivery. Since I was thinking kit, it could be multiple shipments, but Motor Freight would be an option. What would you guess the weight to be?

If it would be really heavy I’m not sure how most people might be able to receive it. I’ve got a tractor with a fork lift attachment that can take it off of a truck if it’s in pieces that are around 1500 lbs. or less.

Should I start saving my upgrade fund? :smiley:

Based on the kits I looked at, a 4x4 machine kit will weigh between 300 and 400 pounds (without a wasteboard or aluminum t-slots). An extruded aluminum base can add another 100 to 200 pounds.

That weight should be fairly easy to manage if it is kitted up in maybe 80 to 100 lb pieces.

It’s a balance between rigidity and weight. The more “beefy” the design the heavier it gets.

As the machine gets bigger the “kit” vs. “assembled” lines start to get blurred because it’s not possible to ship it assembled unless it comes on a truck and you have a forklift or some sort of crane to lift it. The big Shopbot requires assembly because it is so big.

The max package weight for UPS is 150lbs but we are learning with Carvey (83lb box) that UPS doesn’t do well with really heavy packages. Despite being within the rules the drivers and handlers don’t like them.

The freight carriers are not as convenient as UPS, or FedEx, but when you start getting into the heavier items it’s hard to avoid them.

I would definitely be interested in an upgrade package or new unit.

For me one of the worst parts about moving to different machine would be the software. Easel is integrated and so easy to use and best of all I don’t have to have a Microsoft machine. It doesn’t have all of the features of the pro software but it works well enough for the products I make.

I was all set to order one of these machines as the first hump in my cnc learning curve as well. Decided to skip that step and plunge into the roll your own option for an all steel number that will cut 50 inches by 56 with 10 inches of z clearance. Have the axes rolliing on parallel inverted angle iron welded to rectangular tubing with v groove wheels. Getting the tracks straight and parallel was tedious…piano wire job…but it can be done. Everything rolls straight and true and is rock solid. A very pleasant surprise. Should be comparable to one I looked at in a nearby cnc router factory. They wanted 12 grand for theirs. I have frame up and running and 4 nema 34 1200 oz steppers, power supplies, controllers bought for about a tenth of that. Decided on rack and pinion with belt reduction for x and y axis and ball screw for the z axis. My gantry is 4 sided rather than 3 and the motors mount on the lateral member which extends under the bed, so racks and wires are out of the way underneath the work table. Currently sourcing rack and pinion, belt pulleys, and ball screw for the next put-my-money-where-my-mouth-is event. That and fabbing some motor mounts should bring it to the wiring stage. Not my area of expertise, but I suppose I’ll figure it out eventually. Microsoft finally aggravated us to the point of no return, so everything we have in the computer realm is getting the Ubuntu treatment this rainy Memorial weekend. Very pleased with that so far, with the exception of a tag team death match with a Canon laser printer driver. haha. Guess my router will be a Linux machine too.Will worry about that in a couple months, the way it’s going. Thus far, this has been a fun project. If you have room to work, and some basic skills, it’s worth a shot. There is brilliance in beginning.

I would suggest that you could bundle your technical expertise and bulk purchasing power for electrical components with a cut list for locally available structural parts to eliminate the shipping problem. This would have been a very attractive optiion for me.

y = 3000 mm or 10FT
x =1500 mm or 5FT
z = 1000 mm or 3FT

bracket stand.ai (105.0 KB)

:laughing:

UI visited the Woodcraft Store in Tigard Oregon today and saw both the Laguna EQ and CNC Piranha FX machines.

The Piranha uses laminated composites instead of aluminum extrusions, and ball screws instead of belts. Seems really strong and rigid. I measured and weighed the box and figured out that I could have shipped it home to Hawaii as oversized baggage for $150. (24" x 24" x 20" - 60lbs)

The Laguna EQ has a welded steel frame, aluminum and MDF waste board. The waste board rests on what looks like a sheet of phenolic resin board. The Y axis mechanics are mostly enclosed, but the tracks appear to be aluminum rails bolted to either side. The spindle is big and generic looking. Water cooling flows through clear vinyl tubing that recirculates plain water from your own bucket. The dust attachment is optional, which I thought was chintzy for a 6k tool.

The store employees were very helpful but didn’t know much about either machine. I’m returning home on Wednesday, without the Piranha, and looking forward to finishing my XC and doing some making!

Alan

My CNC Router Parts pro 4 x 8 kit shows up this week :slight_smile: In order to save money for now, I’m running their NEMA 34 motors (7A rating), but will be driving everything with my XController. That way I can get up and running as fast as possible, and upgrade to a higher power controller sometime in the future to take advaintage of the full capability of the motors.

What spindle are you planning to use?

Probably the Dewalt 618, potentially upgrading to their 2.2 kW spindle if I ever get 220V in my shop sometime down the road. For me it’s all about getting up and running making parts ASAP, and being able to upgrade as I go along as I learn the machine and my business grows.