Anyone here planning to upgrade to larger CNC

You might want to take a look at the Bosch 1617EVS router it is more powerful and more importantly it has a wider RPM range than the Dewalt 611. It can spin from 8,000 to 25,000 RPM. Being able to set lower RPM speeds really helps with optimizing chip load.

Can’t recommend the Hitachi M12 enough. Half inch collet, whisper quiet at low rpms, tons of horsepower and four years on the same brushes. Soft start, consistent torque throughout the rpm range, it is a beast.

1 Like

You’re running a 15 pound router on the X-carve?

Yep. It’s not nearly THAT heavy - more like between 8 and 10 lbs. There are several pics throughout the forums. The added mass actually contributes to stability. My machine has been stiffened in many different ways as well and I use Gecko controllers with a 48 volt supply. I can plow a half inch end mill a half inch deep in wood at 30 ipm no problem.

Also, I use the original belts and nema 23’s and have never had a problem with either keeping up.

I used this router on my homemade machine for a few years prior to that.

Link: Hitachi 12vc is AWESOME!

Here is a more recent pick with even more JUNK bolted on to it (tach, light, dust shoe):