Automatic Tool Changer

It’s been awhile since I’ve been around, hell its been awhile since I’ve used my machine.

A while back I bought a ATC for my machine and this week I got around to getting it hooked up. I’m not completely finished, I have run out of relays and need to replace one with a double pull double throw and then I’ll have the blow function working.

The ATC came from Usovo and is connected to a 1.5kw wc spindle. I’m still comissioning it but so far it’s looking good. I haven’t seen anyone else post something like it in a while so I thought I would share.

Cheers
Jeff

12 Likes

Very cool.

How are the tool changes incorporated into the Gcode? Do you know if Fusion 360 is capable of adding tool changes in CAM?

I personally do not have a run of experience in Fusion, I use v-cave pro for most of my work. But I have read over on the fusion forums that it will do ATC, it just depends on the post processor that it used. I use a Planet-CNC controller that uses standard g-code(no grbl).

Fusion will add the tool change command. You could write a post processor to handle the ATC, use a sender that takes care of it, or hand edit the code to do it.

Wow, keep us posted with a short video when operational.

Yea super cool! Did the spindle come with it? Is it a water cooled spindle with a VFD?

Hey Zach, it is a water cooled spindle 1.5kw with a VFD. The ATC was purchased separately and installed on the spindle. I’m still in the process of comissioning it and I will post a video once it’s running.

2 Likes

Very impressive!

Any issue with the mount being so much higher than the tool changer?

What ever happened with this?

1 Like