Beer Tap Progress

Been working on this beer tap for a friends bar EVS in NYC. Not finished yet, have 2 more letters to wire and the back to mill, then decide on a finish. But the challenge of the part is it milled front and back as well as drilled for the lights all on the X-carve. Needless to say spent a bunch of nights pulling what’s left of my hair out figuring things out and wasting wood :slight_smile: but it’s getting there! Sorry for the lousy pic

4 Likes

This is looking great! I have been thinking about doing some tap handles. Love the integrated lighting. Will it be battery powered or plug-in?

1 Like

It will be battery powered. Going to go with a cr2025 as they are low powered leds and really don’t want it to bright anyway as it will be going in a dark bar, just want a warm glow.

Lookin good!

you probably dont need all that hair anyhow, just think of all the money you will save on haircuts, styling, shampoo etc. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Never been that guy who looks good bald, just can’t pull it off. Guess i’ll have to resort to the comb over :smile:

1 Like

Coming along. Had to throw a resistor in there, damn those LED’s were bright.

2 Likes

So I’ve been using this project as my learning project.
First I used it to accomplish a 2 part double sided carve early on
Then after wiring all the bulbs I was getting loose connections and shorts from all the wires being shoved in there. I then taught myself to make PCB boards on the X-Carve, So now I made 3 small boards(I didn’t have a large enough pcb in house to make one clean board) one for each letter and got rid of all those wires. It is being powered by a small CR2025 battery. Now I just need to dig up a small micro slide switch for the on/off control, put the back half on and my friends bar will have it’s own personalized light up beer tap (BTW EVS=East Village Social, stop by if you’re ever in NYC)! Well one of these days. But it’s been a great experience learning to make things and learning to make them better with the X-Carve.

4 Likes

I’m loving the look of the EVS…looks like it’s got a great atmosphere!! Will pop in next time I’m in NYC!!!
The bar looks amazing!!! If only it could talk…I bet it could tell a tale or two!!

EAST VILLAGE SOCIAL

126 St. Marks Place
New York, NY 10009

1 Like

Fantastic work Brian!!! There’s a big market for eye catching, and unique beer tap handles!!!

1 Like

Flip milling and PCB boards in one project is quite the accomplishment! What was your software tool chain?

1 Like

Thanks @SamAlaimo,

I designed the Tap in Solidworks and used MeshCam to produce the g-code for it. I then used Chilipeppr to mill.

For the PCB’s I designed them in Eagle and milled them with the Eagle board import tool in Chilipeppr. I outlined that process(which is nice and simple) in a previous project

Brian

2 Likes

If possible, you should incorporate a mercury/position switch that would light the tap when it is being pulled.

A small delay between each letter lighting up when pulled would also look cool!

1 Like

fantastic idea! find an old wall thermostat and rip the mercury switch out of it.

Wow! That is some incredible work @BrianSaban very impressive. Are the bottom screws of the tap handle that screws into the tap a standard size and thread across all taps?

Sounds cool, just not practical. if it only lights when tilted, the customers won’t really see it. :frowning:

Yes all standard or commercial beer systems use a 3/8", 16 thread-per-inch. You can buy the inserts at the big box stores ie. home depot for like $1 a piece.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy NYE! With the holiday’s over I finished the beer tap with a some old finishing techniques (hope you all like) so it will blend in nicely with the bar at EVS. All that’s left to do is put in a fresh battery and deliver her to my friend Dee at the bar and enjoy a nice cold beer! Then on to my next X-Carve “project” (inserting Dr. Evil voice). Pics with her installed at the bar in the next day or two.

1 Like

Here she is set in place and lit up at the bar!

3 Likes

If that doesnt say “see me, try me!” I dont know what does.

Nice job!

1 Like