Behold, the Eclipse-o-Tron 2017!

Used the box maker app in Easel to create a 4" x 4" x 18" box with cover for the main body out of 1/4" birch plywood, made a hole to fit the monocular lens, a couple of legs and a piece of white expanded PVC for the viewing surface.

Of course, just as I was about to take the final picture, the sun gets covered by clouds.

10 Likes

How did it work? Any pictures of what it projected?

1 Like

Double Post (Sorry)

Hi John,

It worked very well, though I had to keep adjusting it every few minutes to keep the eclipse image on the viewing surface.

Then of course about 1:15pm, a HUGE cloud comes rolling through, obscuring the sun and the view of the eclipse, which was supposed to be in it’s full glory at 1:21pm

The image of the sun is about 1 1/2" in diameter, wood box is 4" x 4" x 18"

It was still an amazing thing to witness the moon’s shadow sweep over. I was expecting it to be night time like darkness, but it was more like late twilight. It was dark enough to get the street lights in Wal-Mart’s parking lot to turn on, and looking to the horizon, every direction looked like a sunset!

4 Likes

Possible improvements for the Eclipse-o-Tron 2024:

Adjustable Rotary Table
Sturdier Base
Better legs (possibly integrated into the rotary table)
Removable cap to cover Monocular lens
Add logos

Thanks, Phil!

The drive down to Carbondale wasn’t bad, 7 or so hours, but the return trip was long, about 15 hours. Traffic was awful.

1 Like