Best way to access 5v for active sensors?

Hello,

I am in the process of adding Keyes Hall effect sensors to my x-carve for homing and eventually hard limits.

I have the sensors wired up and working on a breadboard, but I have been using a bench power supply to power the sensors.

What, in your opinion, is the best way to access the 5v I need from the arduino/gShield or PSU? (Not an x-controller).

Three possible options I am considering:

The 5v pin on the Arduino/gshield is underneath the wires for the Y-axis connections. I could solder in a header and run pins off of it, but that would create a bit of a tangle in an already tight spot.

I could ditch the stock enclosure and add an Arduino prototyping shield between the Arduino and the gShield. In addition to giving me a clean way to access the 5v pin, this would give me a place to put the RC low pass filters for the homing/limit sensors too.

Finally, I could just buy a DC-to-DC converter and tie into the PSU 24v step it down to 5v. This would only cost about $8 in parts and give me much more flexibility in running the wires since they won’t need to terminate at the Arduino/gShield (excepting the sensor wires to d9, d10, and d12).

Do you prefer one of these three options? Or do you have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks!

I used a .75 cent buck converter on mine. I ran a set of wires (black and red) from my power distribution board (a custom build) and just used added some electrical tape to the bottom to insulate it and then I used Locktite 2 sided tape to fasten it down to my board.

1 Like

I use the 5v straight from the arduino on my board

Thanks Clyde, this is exactly what I was looking for!