Best way to heat a no insulated shop

Not as lethal as propane . Kerosine burns cleaner than propane , gas and diesel . It is safe to use inside in a house even . Should’ve said as a precaution , a small fan circulating the air would help . Most of the time there is some sort of fresh air circulating , construction companies use the bigger kerosine heaters or Salamanders exclusively . No need for a fresh air source on job sites . So for a smaller operation , crack the door alittle .

I also use the Big Buddy heater. I get my garage up to a decent temp by putting a fan above the heater on a ladder to circulate the heat that rises from it. It also moves the warm air at ceiling level around. I can get the garage up to temp in about 15 minutes with this combination.

1 Like

Are these Buddy heaters safe? I am thinking of getting one, then read the stories of them catching fire.

I use the big buddy and have it connected to a 20lb propane tank. I only turn it on when I’m in the garage and it works fine.

1 Like

Do you need to open the garage a bit to ventilate?

My garage is 2 car size so I haven’t had a problem. I also bought a C0 detector from the local box store and keep that on my work bench. I don’t think you are supposed to use them in that type of environment but I figure something is better than nothing.

Edit: I should note that my garage is insulated also.

Ok, thanks for the summer picture. Do you have a winter picture?

1 Like

Just a comment, doesn’t help answer How to Heat but works alongside it.

Many individuals have a concrete floor. This concrete will work like a heatsink but in reverse. When the concrete has time to soak up all of the cold air in the garage before the heater is turned on, it takes that much longer to heat the garage because the concrete is cooling the air about as fast as the heaters are heating the air.

Some of you might consider covering the concrete floor with rubber mats or some other feasible type of insulation.

Like I said this does not solve the problem but it is good for thought. Just another form of insulation.

2 days, on just 1.5 gallons?! I use a kerosene heater just like what you pictured but a bit older, and I may get a full day out of 1.5 gallons. Luckily once I get my garage heated up I can shut the heater off since the garage holds the heat well. My garage gets hot enough to make me sweat in an hour or so if it’s turned up. Usually set about as low as you can set without creating the CO2 issues heats is slowly and keeps things around 75° in the garage.

@NAM37 Interesting info. I’m in Jacksonville and just got my xcarve. Will be interesting to see if I have the same issues.

Get a wood burner and turn all your saw dust into burnable blocks.

1 Like

No. I lived in Colorado for a while. Now I’m in North Carolina.

King Electric King EKB2450TB 240-Volt 5000-Watt Garage Heater.
This is what I have for my 14’×28’ single stall garage. Hardwired 220v. It takes a very long time to heat up the space. And I notice on colder days. 20°F or below. It will never shut off. My garage is insulated. I also notice the electric bill when I run it a lot. I thought maybe I need another one? But not sure if I will blow my only 220 circuit.

P = V * I

I = P / V
5000/240 = 20.8 amps

Check your breaker/fuse. Most likely a 30 amp unit.

Can’t run two of these on that circuit.

Hi Larry,
Where in NC are you? I’m in Maxton.

Hillsborough

How big is your ice hut?

Can you be a bit more specific? “A long time” = ?