Bits, Feeds & Speeds, and Accuracy

I think I used 5. There is just steel between the slides.

No washers?

no the steel itself is perfectly sized to maintain the appropriate gap. Furniture bolts are used because they have flat heads and flat head nuts.

Yep, I have it all finished, I just began to wonder if the makerslide pieces were inset on the inner side like they are on the outside, but when I got back to the shop I checked it out and saw that they are flat, as you know.

2 Likes

Are you going to brace the y axis rails as well? Also - what router did you end up with?

Yeah, I have some basic metal brackets for the y that I will get to soon hopefully. I’m still using the 611, in fact I had to replace it again today because of brushes and I hadn’t ordered extras yet for my other ones, which was a real bummer.

I would go with any router that was bigger and would last longer but I haven’t investigated the mounting options.

I keep thinking I will get ahead and then have time to figure things out but it just doesn’t seem to happen so I have to make pressured decisions just to keep things going- like buying another 611 today. :disappointed:

The only upside was learning that the brushes going bad can cause interference with the Arduino, which can cause a job to stop in the middle. I was freaking out trying to figure out why that kept happening to me and somebody mentioned that as a possibility and it proved accurate in my case. At least after putting the new router in this afternoon it cut for two hours with no issue when before it had gotten so bad it wouldn’t cut for even a few minutes without ending the job.

Yah if you keep your RPMs low, you brushes should last a lot longer. Still have not replaced any brushes in my Makita or Hitachi - with lots of use. I hear a lot about Dewalt brushes failing. Seems suspicious.

Yeah, I’m disappointed, I’m keeping the rpm at the lowest, but I guess 100-180 hrs is all the brushes are projected to last.