Building B-Carve

True.
The component of runout / risk of whipping is highly affected by two things, given the 16xx screw, RPM and screw length. For steppers one is rarely above 1000RPM while servos allow 3000-5000RPM.

On my CNC I use 1605 screws with 500m length on X. I have had no issues with it. My Z-axis use 1605/250mm, this one started to halt probably due to foreign matter inside.
I have 2x 1605/750mm intended for my Y-axis but these are not installed yet because it require a rebuild of my CNC. All purchased on eBay, I really dont have any decent local options. (I’m outside EU myself)

Thank’s again Elias, yes I am living in the UK (London) I have just emailed CNC 4 you to get a price for the parts I need, (16mm dia, 5mm pitch) mine is 1000 x 1000, they sent the invoice £637, that is for 3 sets, which is quite expensive, compared to the ones from China, but I suppose it will be worth it, you get what you pay for, I have already fitted Hiwin rails and blocks

Thank’s Haldor, I am going to get the parts local CNC4you here in the UK

1 Like

I believe the cost is higher because you get bearing blocks with angular contact bearings, instead of no-name crap with skate bearings. See this previous post above.

Yes it seems to be high class stuff the sell, I have to make sure I order the right length rods, I have 1000 inside measurement between plates on X and Y, the total length of the 1000 ballscrew is 1062mm

I just got this reply from CNC4you
(Our standard ballscrews we stock only come in pre-set sizes.
However, if you send over some drawings of what you need, we can get them made by Hiwin.
Just be aware that these will be a lot more expensive but very high quality)

I might have to rethink this, and find a way to get round it, they do 900 mm ballscrew

Its better to have longer screws than neccesary rather than 20mm too short :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I agree but in the video that Elias posted above you can see that the bearings are fitted to the side of the machine and they do not reach the ends of the machine, I have a screwdrive at the moment (8mm threaded rod) and in use my machine does not use all the thread it stops short of the ends, so I am looking at all the options, I did not get a price for the made to measure Hiwin screwdrive but as CNC4you said, expect it to be very expensive the 1000mm kit is ÂŁ637= $823, which I was willing to pay for good quality materials, I think the Hiwin made to measure would be somewhere around ÂŁ1000,

Also consider the possibility of working out the dimensions the other way around by adjusting your machine to the (closest) screw size.

A flexible design (e.g. bearing blocks being able to float on extrusion slots instead of being fixed on plates, maybe geared instead of direct drive transmission) can offer a lot of room for adjustment.

EDIT:
Example of floating bearing blocks. He uses FKxx+MBAxx with direct drive, but it could also be BKxx with gear and belt and off-axis motor. xx=12 for the 1605 screw.

Example of motor off axis (taken from here).

Thank you Elias, that has really helped me, great video and very well explained, you certainly done your homework when you were building B- carve

Thanks for your detailed write up, and sharing your thought processes :slight_smile:

I have plans for a project similar to this, you’ve provided a lot of fuel for that fire haha

Elias, what are your $100 settings in GRBL I am trying to re-calibrate the X axis after installing the 1605 leadscrew, when I alter the settings in GRBL I get a grinding noise from the motor and it moves very slowly, I had this once before but can’t seem to find the answer

I also have 1605 screws, will check when I get home after work.
IIRC I run mine at 80steps/mm @ 1/2 microstep.

Edit - just checked, mine are as follows:
$100 = 80
$110 = 3500 (DM556 driver and 48V PSU, I have had them run up to 5000 but dont need it)
$120 = 750
Microstep setting 400steps/rev => 1/2 step

Thank’s Haldor, I will try your settings in the morning and let you know the results

This is what I have now and it seems to be working good
$100=160.500
$110=175.000
$120=950.000
I will try working with these settings and see how it is
Thank you for your help

Sorry for the late reply. Teleworking and teleschooling has been a bit hectic in the past few weeks.

I use 160steps/mm on all X,Y,Z. Microstepping, speed and acceleration depend on your power supply, driver, motor combo. You will need to experiment to find your sweet spot. This usually involves reaching your electronics’ limits (motors begin to stall and sound strange) and then backing off by a safe amount.

It looks like you’ve already done it :slight_smile:

Hello im in the UK looking to get an X-Carve. I found a company called 3DTEK who sell an XYZ-Carve. Looks similar and well priced kit, build instructions seem ok but runs GRBL not X-controler and reviews say its good. Has anyone on here tried this machine??

A little weird thread for your post, but X-Controller is still an Arduino at heart and runs Grbl. That kit you linked to seems almost like a 1:1 copy of the X-Carve. Still overpriced for what it is, but maybe not as horribly overpriced as the X-Carve is now. Your profile says that you are a retired machinist. If you are planning to make anything else but wooden signs, you’ll soon find out that the machine is severely lacking rigidity, accuracy and repeatability.

Haaaaa…machine within the expected constraints of the machine and you can machine more than you think. I used my original 500mm X-Carve to machine a new Z-Axis and had to pick up the X/Y/Z several times due to splitting the carve up into different time chunks. I had no issues with repeatability within the specifications of the machine. I also machined aluminum fixtures to use Mitee Bite Talon Grips and Tiny Vise Low Profile Edge Clamps from Carr Lane with no issues from the machine. Obviously, you will not get a mirror finish like you might with a machine that costs 10-100 times what the X-Carve does, but if you dial your machine in and limit your feeds/speeds to the capabilities of the machine then you can get pretty decent results for a hobby machine.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

They’ve been around for some years in Australia, didn’t know they opened a branch in the UK. I remember checking out their heavy mill in the past. Their light machine has it origins in the Shapeoko 2, as does the X-Carve. However, the controller it comes with has lower amp drivers (DRV8825) than the X-Controller.