Building B-Carve

Stay away from DRV8825…unless you enjoy a future upgrade :slight_smile:

Thank you for your message. The forum wouldn’t allow myself to post a new thread and I couldn’t find anything else relevant. I fully understand the drawbacks of these hobby machines. My shed cant tolerate much more mass than my body weight alone so 25/30kg for one of these kits is fine. My Hass machine at work wouldn’t even fit in the garden.

How did you fasten the Y rail 3090 to the 3090 and 3060 frame? Did you put t nuts in the frame and drill thru the Y rail 3090, or are they just touching and theres nothing joining them but the outermost plates?

@DarrylKegg I used hidden right angle connectors like these

in the spots marked below

The Y plates also help hold everything in place.

Alternatively you could just omit the four small 3060 parts and just attach the three flat 3090’s to the two Y 3090’s with the (visible) right angle connectors. Simpler and fewer parts required. I ended up using the small 3060’s so I wouldn’t have gaps on each side of my base T slot extrusions (which in turn relates to the width of these extrusions vs the length of the X ballscrew).

Perfect, thank you, I assumed that is what you meant when you mentioned hidden connectors, but I know there are some other more specialty connectors that might have been used… appreciate you confirming my suspicions.

Back when I made that low profile vise I had bought four tiny clamps and ended up using the three.

I came up with some ideas for a MkII, which turned out simpler, easier to machine and more versatile.

So instead of using 3 clamps on one side and a fixed step on the other, MkII uses two identical blocks with two tiny clamps each, resulting in more aggressive biting from both sides.

Also the mounting screws have moved from the edge to the centerline eliminating any possibility of cantilever forces and as a bonus providing a slimmer footprint too.

The cherry on top is that MkII is dual mode. It can be applied either face-to-face for minimal (3mm) grip height which exposes the sides for profiling

or back-to-back for full grip height.

At 15mm tall x 25mm deep x 105mm wide, this packs enormous power for its size.

Zoom out for scale.

4 Likes