Can the 24V Power Supply from Shapeoko 2 be used on X-Carve with Nema 23 stepper motors

I will be converting my Shapeoko 2 machine to an X-Carve. The Shapeoko has Nema 17 motors and the X-Carve will have Nema 23.

My question is: Can I use the 24V power supply from the Shapeoko on the new X-Carve with the bigger motors.Can it supply enough power. I’m talking about the 3.75 Amp power supply.

Thanks.

…Peter

I’m not sure if this is correct answer, but you can get the X-Carve can come with either NEMA 17s or 23s and as far as I know it ships with the same power supply.

You have the original 90W power supply (the one that looked like a laptop power supply). That is really small compared to the 400W power supplies they now sell with the X-Carve. I think you would be much better off spending the $80 for a new 24V enclosed power supply.

1 Like

My SO2 was shipped with 24VDC, 240W and 48VDC, 350W power supplies. I’m running four NEMA 23s on my system now with no problem.

The 3.75 amp power supply is 90 Watts (24VX3.75A = 90W)

OHHHHHHms law. lol

1 Like

Is it 3.75A at the 120VAC input or the 24VDC output? Seems strange that two different power supplies were being shipped. Mine is labeled AC Input 110-120V @ 4.8A and DC Output 24V @ 10A.

This is the power supply I think he has (the original S02 power supply)

Yes, I have the one that looks like a brick from a laptop. It supplies 24V@3.75 Amp, so 90W.

Will that be enough for the Nema 23s? That is the ultimate question.

Thanks.

…Peter

You really need to have at least 6 amps to power the 4 NEMA 23’s correctly. In theory all 4 motors combined are capable of drawing about 16 amps but they would never all be drawing max power at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks Allen (and others who answered). I think I’ll try and get a 24V 15A then. I guess that is the power supply that ships with new X-Carve orders.

…Peter

1 Like

Real question is: could the SO2 power supply give enough power to run one or two Nema 23’s? I’m thinking about upgrading X and maybe Z before diving off into both Y motors. Any thoughts?

A single motor can draw about 4 amps max

Interesting. Here’s the one that was specified and shipped with my SO2 in February, 2015.
30353-02

I got the brick one that Allen shows above with my order. Maybe they changed. I got mine sometime Nov 2014.