Can't seem to generate a roughing G code for guitar neck

Hi, I am attempting a 2 sided carve for a guitar neck and cannot seem to get Easel to generate a roughing pass G code. It does produce the finishing pass that would surely snap a bit without the rough pass. I was able to do the front side just fine but once I flipped the model to the bottom I could not get it to work. Any ideas? I have tried clearing cookies and cache, different browser and bit settings so far. Here’s a link…

yeah that’s really odd.
Have you tried starting over and re-importing the STL into a new workpiece?

otherwise you might need to reach out to Inventables tech support directly…

When opening up your file, I had to drag the cut slider down to 3/4 in order to see the perimeter cut show up. Is there a neck carve to this that I don’t see? The tuner holes are there, the truss rod slot, and the perimeter cut. I’m assuming this is the top view that worked for you. I can’t seem to be able to make a copy of this drawing either.

Looking at this on a laptop, the back shows up.

and this view of the top

Closing it all up and opening it up again, I’m back to the orginal 2d view. I’m not sure why the other views don’t show up or what I did to get them.

Playing some more, it appears that I needed to hit workpieces, which was hidden from view.

Playing a bit more, I get the finishing toolpaths, but no roughing toolpath even when changing the depth of cut to .125 from 1/32. Sounds like you might want to try another Cam program perhaps?

If I were making this neck I’d create a program for the perimeter, truss rod, and holes in the top view. I’d do the carve from the back as a second program using the truss rod slot as a keyway to hold the neck in the proper location.

Press a button and out pops a guitar build. | Page 4 | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

Thanks for the reply, I setup a 2d toolpath as you mentioned for the truss rod, tuners and perimeter. I then did a model boundary relief to cut the top and it worked fine. Any suggestions on a different CAM program to test the back side?

Played with this a little more and flipped it on the X axis instead of Y so it is face down with the headstock on the right instead of the left and it seems to work that way. So weird.

I’ve used Meshcam for over 15 years I guess. It works well and is pretty easy to use.

1 Like