Carve stopping mid carve

First of all I only do simple carves (luckily) but when ever I carve just images part way into the carve it stops router keeps spinning but it won’t move the only way I get it to move is I open Gcode sender an jog the router then go back to Easel pro and start the carve all over again very frustrating. It never stops when I carve letters just images. I have a new dedicated dell laptop,powered USB port separate electrical circuits for laptop and milright carve king 2 machine. I use Wi-Fi for internet connection with a Wi-Fi signal booster next to my equipment in my small work shop.Here’s an example of my projects.

1 Like

In Easel you can verify the status of the cnc by opening the machine inspector page (Press Ctrl+Shift+D) and at the top a status will be displayed. IF by chance the cnc is hitting a limit, or some other fault, it will be displayed here.

However IF some other USB connection fault is causing the issue it may not display here.
The most common issue I see with people using a new computer (or new to CNC / Laser in general) is the USB Selective suspend function not being set to “disabled” …

As a somewhat related side note, Easel doesn’t actually need internet connection once the design is complete. The toolpath calculation and the gcode sender portion of Easel all occur on the users PC remotely and are independent of an internet connection. So as far as the Wifi and the booster, that wouldn’t actually cause this issue even if the connection was intermittent. I just wanted to put that out there to help rule that out as the possible issue here.

Another somewhat common issue is Static Shock causing the cnc to momentarily power off and come back on, in this scenario the cnc will loose USB connection, so that could also be a potential cause especially if you’re using a dust collector or shop vac with a hose that isn’t properly grounded.

1 Like

Thanks SETH CNC. There’s so much going on behind the scenes it’s hard for a person with limited knowledge to figure things out. I will try the suggestion you just mentioned and let you what happens.

2 Likes

Jim, I was having issue with stopping cuts, erratic cuts etc, and it came down to the USB cable. I found the USB cable was too close to the router power etc and was receiving interference. In the end I bought a shielded USB cable with ferrite cores and located it in such away that it was completely away from any power sources. Solved my issues.

Thins the cable I used Amazon.com

1 Like

Jim
Thank for your help here’s a photo of my cable hook up to the CNC. That blue USB coming from the brain box looks shielded and came with the CNC. It goes to a powered USB port previously recommended by someone trying to help with this issue and goes to my dedicated new Dell laptop. Everything thing is plugged into separate outlets. This issue sucks cause I only do simple carves.
Jim

2 Likes

I had the same issue until I isolated my controller.

Isolate that power strip and get rid of that power hub and get a longer data cable.

I built a cabinet for my CNC and controller, All power supplies to it on the exterior of the cabinet.
never had an issue since.

I’m not saying build a cabinet, possibly put a separation between the two like something vertical.

1 Like

I had similar issues until I cleaned up the static discharges from my dust collection system, and most importantly then cleaned up the ground loops I created in that first step (helpful to have a dad who is an electrical engineer). Once I had all parts of the setup using a common ground between the dust collection system and controller and PC it became rock stable.

1 Like

I agree with Ken’s comments that the powered hub, and the cheap multi-board may not be helping here. I also have surge protection for the power to my controller.

1 Like

Thanks everyone I’m just a retired ■■■ trying to keep my self busy with a hobby. Never realized how complicated a CNC machine can be, but I won’t give up. I’ll take all your recommendations and try to incorporate them into solving this issue. I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks
Jim.

1 Like

One test to run, is what happens if you aren’t actually cutting anything. Like set your z-height to the air so your entire program runs without cutting and see if the program completes. If it i]still fails turn off the spindle and see if the x-y movements still happen (since you set your z to the air no problem, but be ready on the e-stop if you miscalculate) now you can isolate what is causing the stopping.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.