Carvey Probe Gcode

Hello,

I configured UGS (universal gcode sender) to work with the Carvey.
Is there a way to get the GCODE PROBING SEQUENCE that Easel would automatically generate for any given job?
I’m milling out some PCBs and need to have a z-offset reference each time I run the job (turn on/off the machine).

Thanks!

Not at a PC, but if you export gcode from easel for the Carvey, it’ll include the start up probing sequence (at least it used to).
That said, if you’re milling pcbs, I’d probe off of the PCB. The “smart” clamp won’t be accurate enough. The Z offset will persist across power cycles if you use G10 L20.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, that’s the problem is that I want to probe using UGS (universal Gcode sender) instead of using Easel, so I was looking for the actual Gcode that Easel would generate.

Probing off the PCB would be good. Would I just need to reroute the wires from the “smart clamp” to the PCB so there would be continuity between the PCB and the bit?

Yup.

Hi Daniel,

What did you have to do to the Carvey firmware to get it to work with UGS ??

Gaz

I had to add a few lines of Java code to UGS and recompile it in order for it to recognize Carvey’s firmware. I can send you the modified UGS if you want?

That would be great, the re-compile stuff is a bit out of my area of expertise.

I have sent you a PM.

Gary

Might be better off with a CNC-sender that support surface mapping (probing a grid over the entire area to be carved)

Hi Haldor. For this specific operation, the tolerance is extremely tight. I’m milling out a trace on a multi-layered PCB, and can only go down about 0.040", so probing off of the PCB, as close to where I’ll be milling, is critical. If I go too far, then the board turns to scrap.

@Daniel9 What @HaldorLonningdal is suggesting is that you use bCNC or similar for the auto probing and mesh leveling. Any inconsistencies in your PCB thickness or wasteboard will be adjusted for.

I understand now, but why bCNC and not UGS? Is bCNC better?
I simply use the 38.2 command in UGS and it works fine.

UGS dont support surface mapping.

Hi Daniel9
Just got myself a 2nd hand Carvey. I would be interested in the modified UGS to allow me to use that instead of Easel as I intend to generate the Gcode from Fusion360 first. Please could you post a copy of send me one?
Thanks.

@HaroldBourne Use gSender. It’s a much more polished sender. I started using cncjs with the Carvey almost as soon as I got it. gSender has picked up from there.
By the way, if you want an extra Carvey, let me know, I have one for sale.

@NeilFerreri1 Thanks for the prompt reply, especially as my query was 4 years after the post! Glad to see this forum still has users. I will check out gSender. Can I just copy the first part of the gCode into a new Fusion generated GCode to do the auto probe bit? i.e. the code from the intro file is
G90
G21
G28
G21 G38.2 Z-71 F80
G10 L20 P1 X17 Y-12.25 Z12.7
G54
G0 Z20
G0 X20 Y20
M3 S12000
G4 P1
G20

So you still want to use the smart clamp? (You don’t have to)

Yes, you can use that, but be careful about units and such. Do you want that part of the code to start your spindle? Fusion should be doing that.

I’d just use the probing gadget in gSender or cncjs.