Carvey vs. X-Carve for Middle School

My middle school is in the process of looking at various CNC machines to add to our manufacturing unit. I’m wondering if anyone here can provide some insight into which machine would be best for middle school and why? The only constraint I have is time, I only have students for 6 weeks out of the school year, so the projects would need to be fairly small/simple.

I think it depends a lot on the environment where the machine will be used. Unless you have a shop environment where dust and noise are the norm, you would be much better off with the Carvey.

The X-Carve allows for larger projects, but it is loud and creates a mess. In my opinion it would not be appropriate for a classroom setting. There is also a safety factor to consider. While neither machine is dangerous if used correctly with proper safety gear (like hearing and eye protection). The X-Carve is open so it is possible for hands or fingers to be where they may encounter the cutting tool. The Carvey is enclosed and the cutting tool is protected from accidental contact.

2 Likes

I would definitely go with the Carvey because it is enclosed. The carvey’s work area is about 12 inches by 8 inches which is a reasonable size. There are many projects from the “Hour of Power” challenge that can complete during a class session.

There are other small enclosed units such as the “OtherMill” and the Carbide 3D Nomad, but I would still go with the Carvey.

There are also some small CNC machine kits from places like Micro Center or Amazon. These are useful for teaching the concepts of CNC but they struggle to actually do more than engraving. You could probably use them to create ink stamps.

I would also suggest the Carvey.

The X-Carve requires a fair amount of tinkering to keep it running well. If the machine itself isn’t your intended focus, definitely get the Carvey.

Thanks, everyone! This feedback really makes the decision easy :slight_smile:

As a former MS tech teacher, I would encourage you to get something durable and with easily accessible replacement parts. My last colleague was in charge of a Module lab which had very light duty devices. The labs were constantly down. MS kids are hard on tools. You want something indestructible.

You also need to look at how long it will take to do the work you want done. Nothing will be more frustrating to the kids if they have to set it up and leave before it is finished. If it were me buying this for my lab, ( I made my own cnc router back in the day for class and had a Maxnc mill too.) I’d go for the X carve because I could have multiple pieces set up on the bed with easy access to them. I’d have a supply of extra wheels, bearings, screws, router, and belts for replacement…in other words spare parts on hand. The X carve is also expandable if you find that you want to make bigger parts. My mfg. unit was one of my favorites. Gumball Machines and Amazing folding stools among other things were a lot of fun and could be adapted to cnc pretty easily.

You could always make an enclosure to deaden noise and help with the sound too, if fact the guy that replaced me did that to the one I built.