Carvey's X-axis - homing

ha! didn’t think of my phone.

tried it and I guess i’m not nimble enough to position the phone to where I can see it. As you say, the bottom of the head is a solid piece of metal. I think what I would be looking for would be something at the far back and above the bottom plate. But I’ll keep at it.

if you had the head apart, do you remember any gotchas or hints on taking it apart?

and many thanks for the assistance!

Don’t do it unless you have the hands of a 3yr old. I usually take pics when I do stuff like that. This is the only one I could find.

I don’t think there’d be a reason to take the carriage apart to troubleshoot the X-switch.

Use the camera to actually take pictures. Just give it a guess and snap a pic.

Actually, you may be able to see it if you take off the panel on the back of the machine.

I had the back off earlier, but just checked the belts. that does seem like the next step, rather than fooling with the head. At least I might be able to see if there is a problem. I think I’ll try tomorrow morning however. Diminishing return at this time of night.

again, thanks for the assistance. I’ll let you know if there is any joy.

Good luck!

It was another PICNIC situation. (problem in chair, not in Carvey. Well, maybe it was in the Carvey, but the idiot in the chair should have seen it a whole lot sooner!)

The hard rubber brushing at the top of the head assembly that rides on the top rail somehow got shifted over to the left. (perhaps gradually?) This prevented the carriage from going all the way to the left and triggering the left stop. Firmly moved the brushing back to where it belonged, centered in the carriage and all is well. In retrospect, seeing the brushing that far to the left should have been a clue. I just kept thinking: “that doesn’t look familiar”.

2 Likes