Carving out the periodic table

My 9th grade science class just finished designing and carving out each of the 118 elements of the periodic table. I need a little help in deciding how to permanently mount to the wall in the hallway. I think my principal prefers I mount all 118 tiles onto something first prior to hanging. Any suggestions?

6 Likes

How big are the tiles? what are the tiles made of??? The images look like two color HDPEā€¦ that might be a problem since nothing sticks very well to HDPE except HDPEā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Yes, they are the 6"x 6" HDPE tiles. What about some sort of U bracket where the tiles will simply slide in and hold them?

1 Like

I was thinking some sort of bracket or rail system also, but i was thinking more along the lines of some sort of t track mounted to a larger boardā€¦Or just theT track mounted to the hallway wall.
the attached picture is crudely drawn and not to scale,ā€¦ but this would be the side view of a 9 foot long track (6 inch tile x 18 rows)ā€¦

Does that make sense??? then you just add enough T rail to accomodate all the rowsā€¦7 +2 i believe???

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea! Thanks for all your help on this. Iā€™ll post back when we finish the project!

1 Like

Did you design all those in Easel? Would you be willing to share them all with the community?

My students and I designed all 118 in Easel. Iā€™d love to share them with the community. How would I go about doing that?

Thatā€™s amazing! That Project should come with every XC in every school!

Thanks! It was an excellent introduction to Easel, Carvey, and the different elements. Students also put together a website on the project with the information they collected. Check it out at www.physicalsciencekozar.weebly.com

1 Like

Double sided tape will stick to the tiles. There are two kinds that Iā€™ve used. One is like regular scotch tape and not really very sticky. The other is used to hold carpet to flooring and has fibers in it. Much stronger and stickier. Just a thought

In Easel, click ā€˜Fileā€™, then ā€˜Shareā€™, ā€˜Share with a Linkā€™. Copy/paste the link here.

Thank you!

Iā€™m not sure if this does you any good but hereā€™s the easel template I made for chlorine. Easel - Chlorine . In order to share the whole periodic table I would have to share 118 files! Hope this helps.

The easiest way would probably put them in a Dropbox and open it to the public. You can just cut and paste them there making it much easier.

Although I truly absolutely appreciate it when someone shares a file or project or hints or tipsā€¦

However, since when has it become expected that someone share a projectā€¦ ???

Lately, (not on this forumā€¦yetā€¦) Iā€™ve seen people get downright ugly when a forum contributor declines to share their files. what ever happened to personal creativity? why canā€™t someone see a project and sayā€¦ HEY, I can do thatā€¦ and do their own project based off of an idea they see on a forum or the internetā€¦

I guess I feel like I learn more by designing my own projects. my projects might be similar to something i see on this or another forum, but I would NEVER ask someone to share their filesā€¦ Have I used files that someone has shared.??? YESā€¦ would Ask someone to share their files so that I can duplicate their work??? NEVER. Iā€™d rather struggle through my own design process trying to duplicate what I seeā€¦ I think I just learn more that wayā€¦

Butā€¦thatā€™s just meā€¦ Iā€™ve always had a hard time understanding the motivation of other people.

I donā€™t mind sharing the files for the periodic table. I think my students did a great job and should be shared for others to use, learn, mix, etc. So, I decided to provide a link to each of the files on the website. www.physicalsciencekozar.weebly.com. The first ten elements (hydrogen-neon) are up and posted with the links. Simply click on the Easel logo on each page to access the Easel file. Hope this helps!

BTW, hereā€™s, a direct link to Hydorgen - Hydrogen - Carving Out the Periodic Table.

2 Likes

And yet you have no problem gleaning information ā€˜sharedā€™ on these forums?

The open source community thrives on community efforts. There have been makers who decline to share their files, thatā€™s fine, we should all understand when a share request is declined. Some desire to capitalize from their work, good for them. Like you, I re-create othersā€™ work all the time from my own designs, but it can be a shortcut if someone is willing to share.

When asked to share files, itā€™s up to the creator to share or not. I do agree that it should never be ā€˜expectedā€™ that someone would share.

@Traxxtar

I believe we are in agreement hereā€¦

Gleaning information, on a forum such as this and others is the point of these forumsā€¦ Experienced users often point new users to the solutions to their problems by pointing them to other postsā€¦ the whole point of a Forum is to share knowledge, experiences and occasionally Files.

Sharing information is the option of the person who posts said information, and if someone post a questionā€¦ā€œmy Z axis wonā€™t move what do I doā€ people decide to answer or notā€¦ when someone post a ā€œlook at what I didā€ it is that persons option to share the files or notā€¦ And typically most of us do not mind sharing our work (unless the work is specifically ā€œfor Profitā€)

my rantā€¦ was an effort to express how I do not understand the sudden increase of people asking outright for files ā€¦ ā€œHey, does someone have an STL of a dogā€ or ā€œHey, nice projectā€¦share the fileā€¦ā€ and the occasional hostility that I have seen when someone declines to ā€œshareā€ Or more recently, someone posting a picture of someone elseā€™s completed project and just plain askingā€¦ā€œwho has the G-code for thisā€ without even a hint of whether or not they put any effort into trying to re-create the projects on thier own.

On THAT NOTEā€¦

Sorry for hijacking this threadā€¦ @KennethKozar, your students have done GREAT workā€¦ I applaud their efforts on such a great projectā€¦ and as the spouse of an educator, I wish to THANK YOU for what you do. I know itā€™s not always fame and glory.

Your students did an excellent job, I am a middle school science teacher and may use this for my classroom