Carving .svg photo's with x-carve

Sorry just saw this Zach, don’t see a ‘smiley’ face?

that’s the .svg photo from before not the .jpg photo. Which would you prefer?

This is the correct photo, .jpg file.

Kinda cute, ain’t she? $0 plus years ago :slight_smile:

The smiley face is here:

That’s 40 plus years

ok need to open xcarve to get that.

ok, opened xcarve and clicked on the smiley face now what?

Click apps, then click image vectorizer.

You’ll have to play with the slider to get it to look good.

ok, bear with me here, I clicked the app and it opened up a page with a ‘web store’ icon on it.

ok, duh, I have it thanks again!

I’ve got the x-carve running, but to tell you the truth, I don’t see a photo coming out of this. I will let it go and see what the end results are.

We made some progress tonight! I had a very nice phone call with James, and confirmed that what he’s looking for is a more “photo-realistic” image rather than the type of tracing that Easel and Inkscape do.

We managed to get UGS up and running! But, we then ran into the end of my UGS knowledge. We moved the bit to the bottom left corner of the workpiece, hit the “Reset Zero” button, and thought we were ready to run, but for some reason when he started the file, the machine booked it for the right rail.

Any UGS users out there that might be able to chime in with a suggestion for @JamesMitchell?

Did you check what version UGS, because I know 1.7 have bugs, they fixed on 1.8x. Still I’m having problem if I forgot to click reset zero - reset X - reset Y , before adjusting zero material touch and click Reset Z. Some how finding home position with no problem, but I have to tell it this is your beginning point everytime.

He’s on 1.0.8. His Machine Coordinates were showing negative, even though the work ones were zeroed out, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. I don’t use UGS so I’m kind of at the end of my knowledge here…

1 Like

I have been dying to try the Inkscape g-code export once the other half of my x-carve arrives.

He might try setting his X-Carve to his zero point (x, y & z) in the machine controls then exiting and restarting UGS to be sure everything is at 0,0,0.
Then load his design and try running it. I have had to do that on occasion and pretty much make it a practice now.

Also when using UGS, if your design is in mm make sure the UGS is set to mm and not inches. I ran into an issue with my design not cutting properly using both units of measure (mm for design and UGS set to inches).4

Scott

1 Like

Peter, Allen Massey gave me this and that seemed to fix the problem we had the other night, once I got it entered correctly. “The command G92 X0 Y0 Z0 will usually take care of it” typed in at the command prompt and it seemed to zero all. You can view my latest video I just uploaded to see it working.

1 Like