Carvings that require resin

Is there a chance that Inventables would be able to create a feature within EaselPro to calculate that volume needed to fill certain carvings with epoxy?

I went ahead and moved the post into the features request topic. However keeping it real for a moment, I doubt it’ll happen in the next 5-7 years.

Even in Fusion360, a much more powerful 3d modeling software with multiples of more $ invested in its development, you’d need to 3d model the epoxy itself to get the volume however changing the material in Fusion360 to a liquid like water you get a weight that is pretty close to epoxy (i compared a gallon jug of epoxy to a gallon of water and it was within 3%) so i took the Fusion360 weight and mixed 10% extra, worked out as expected, perfect.

And if you’ve never tried portioning epoxy by weight rather than volume, well it is much much more accurate means of achieving the proper mix ratio.

However back to Easel, it would take a Lot of programming to get volume values for complex models like that and i could be wrong, but I doubt there’s much of an ROI on that. :man_shrugging:
It would be neat if it happens though.

1 Like

It would take a little trial-and-error, but you might be able to create a roughing pass using a 1/4" bit. By knowing the volume that bit takes out and by knowing the time of the roughing pass, you might be able to get close to the volume of material removed.

This would not be exact, but would give you a good ballpark number to start with.

Many people who do a lot of resin deliberately make extra rather making up a fresh batch of hopefully the same color to try to finish. They often pour any extra into pen blank molds for future projects.

3 Likes

I use shapr3d for my design work. I was calculating resin amounts the other day and if you click the face of your cut it will give you the square inches of that face. from there you’ll want to do the regular formula to find cubic inches. so I have a surface that winds around and curves, I click the face and my square inches are 200, the depth of that face is .5 inches which gives me 100 cubic inches. that converts to fluid ounces at an amount of about 56 ounces. im sure other platforms will give you the surface area of faces and bodies but I haven’t looked anywhere because shapr just tells me right there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.