Challange accepted Marine's

Long story but here goes.

I give the utmost respect for the men and women who serve our country. With out them there is a good chance I would not live the life I have.

02/08/2017 3:30am
Not so awake or ready for this day but drinking my coffee and getting ready for work. 4:00am off to work dodge the deer and avoid the speed traps. 4:50am arrive at work and talk to friends while waiting on the clock to hit 5:00am.
7:00am break time a new guy was talking about his brother is getting to stop by Friday for about an hour before he heads out to get shipped off to who knows were. This guy is trying to figure out what kind of gift to get his brother and being a new guy he was pretty much broke. My name got brought up and so I was asked if I could make something I said sure and we could work out something at a later time and that I would start on it after work.

6:00pm
Got home and had dinner then out to the shop I go. Digging through the wood pile I locate what I will use and start this whole process. 9:00pm machine is set up and cad finished and gcode ready to upload. Ready to settle in for a long night. 10:30 face milling of both sides done and 3d file ready to run all going smooth nothing to do but play baby sitter.

02/09/2017 3:00am
About half done. Mind you this is gonna take some time .1mm 20deg vbit @150ipm. Some where between 5 and 6am I pass out in the shop with machine cranking away while I am face planted on the keyboard. 8:30am getting yelled at by the wife (hey stupid you got a problem wake up!). To my dismay the bit had broke I thought ok I can fix this then I look at my computer only to see a message saying I am sorry I made a mistake my brother will be here between noon and one. So with out thinking I replied ok I’ll be there as soon as I can. Then It hit me what I had said @%$#& What am I gonna do now.
No time and it is now 9:00am and out of 20deg vbits I grab a .125 ballnose redo the cam file to go with the new bit and away we go. To the limits this machine is gonna get pushed to. 175ipm and 175plunge all or nothing now. oh and I forgot to mention there will be his name and a image laser engraved on the back. 1:23pm I finish and he will leaving soon like around 2:00 and I am almost 38 miles away. I run out get in the truck and crank on the heat because the clear finish is still wet. So driving like a mad man (just a little faster than everyone else) and dying of heat exhaustion from the heater I arrive to my destination @2:04. I made alot of people very happy today and when we return to work I will not be accepting this mans money he needs it more than I do. I am not looking for a pat on the back just wanting to let people know that anything is possible when you put your mind to it.

And I would like to thank the people that made this day possible because with out them I could never have done this.
@PhilJohnson
@Zach_Kaplan and the staff
@LarryM
@picengravertoo
@JohnChamplain
@JTechPhotonics
I know I missing some names but you know who you are and thank you.
I hate that my bit broke and ran out of time there was so much more I wanted to do. But they were happy and loved it and in the end that is what matters.

Part of my practice is I do not show customers names so it is blocked in the photo

19 Likes

Well done, Shane. God Bless.

2 Likes

The first run was beautiful smooth and perfect no fuzz nothing it was as close to perfect as you could get it looked like is came off a $50,000 machine. But we got the .125 ball end mill now and I made do with it. I know there was a 10 pack of them vbits but it looks like they grew legs.

I ran the step file in artcam the image is 10 inch I am glad I did not go smaller or I would have lost quite a bit.

Looks great! Keep up the good work and thanks to you and all military for their service!

1 Like

Looks great. Thanks for doing that.

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful. Nice job!

1 Like

HOLD UP HERE !!! I don’t know what it is about this post. Something makes it stick in my mind kinda lika a machine screw with that whatchamacallit stuff on it.

1 Like

Hey look what I found
@BlueLocktite

1 Like

Uh, oh. Here we go again.

2 Likes

I’ll be up late in the shop like every night I am home. hey I got a good few hours in.

1 Like

Nice job.
Love the emblem.
BTW I am a VET and Marine.
I spend time in back in the 90’s
If you are ok with it I would like the graphic for personal use.
Or if you prefer I could pay you for one of those emblems.

2 Likes

Got a ? I did the laser work in inkscape does anyone know how to make it so the end resulting gcode better follow the lines of the image as in how to make inkchape trace lines better for the tool path.

Not mine to give but if the creator is ok with it he will contact you. Fact he will see your post but I don’t give names incase he wishes not to be bothered so I will leave it his decision. Don’t really know how else to say that.

1 Like

Thanks. I like to help others and hopefully we all can do some cool stuff for more VETs. A lot of them do not get the recognition they deserve.
I do not look for sympathy as I am lucky. I have all my limbs and I am pretty good health. (Just a tad bit of asthma only)
Thanks again for sharing. Its inspiring.

3 Likes

That’s impressive.

1 Like

may want to blur license plate too

1 Like

Very nice Shane. What software are you using?

artcam but it has also been done in fusion 360 but in fusion it has kinda a pain to get the size correct.

Looks great to me. I would love to make one but haven’t got my xcarve to center itself yet. I received it from another individual who gave it to me with a Grizzly mill i bought from him. I got the mill set up and now am trying to get the Xcarve in proper working order.

1 Like