Chatter along x and bits breaking inside the collet

The pic I posted is solid pine, 50 ipm
I didn’t post a pic of the test with th 1/4 bit but ran it at 100 ipm, solid pine as well
Haven’t cut any plywood other than a dust boot I made in easel which worked out fine. Pretty much all my projects have been in v carve using default feed rates. Is it possible to see what easel calculates for the feed rates? Id like to compare with the v carve settings
Ill slow down the 1/4 to 50ipm tomorrow and see what happens. Guess I need to cut back on the speeds. Sorry for asking dumb questions but still getting my bearings on this :slight_smile:
Thanks again!

I’ve been cutting at 100ipm with both 1/4 inch ball end mill and 1/8th ball endmill with .125 and .0625 DOC for the past week in both solid poplar and red oak without any problems. I have the precision collet and nut from inventables, it’s a night and day difference between the adapter which gave me lots of chatter in x direction at only 30ipm and same DOC.

@BrettPatterson
I’m eagerly awaiting the Elaire collets that I ordered, praying they make a difference. What threw me off was that the chatter happened so abruptly. I literally took a successful 3d carve off the machine, changed bits and proceeded to start a rough 3d cut and the cut quality was a polar opposite
RobertCanning
I don’t have any trim routers but I do certainly abuse my Bosch 1617 and table router quite more than the 611 on the x-carve
Any suggestions on what to check on the machine as far a loose bolts, etc? I’ve gone over everything that I can reach without flipping it over and only found one loose bolt on the extrusion that holds the drag chain behind the x axis
@WorkinWoods I never even thought to check HF for one of those, thanks for the suggestion. I tend only to think of them when it comes to gloves, blades, and beater-upper power tools but my local store does stock the tool so i’ll be making a trip to pick one up :smile:
Thanks again everyone for taking your time out to give me a hand on this!

also make sure that when you install the bit in the collet that the bit is going all the way through the collet and flush with the back side that will make sure that it is seated correctly in the collet if you stick just a little bit in the collet will not clamp down correctly

@EricForaker

and yeah lol I always check harbor freight before I buy anything just to see if they have it

the measurement stuff is okay I did notice that you need to keep good batteries in them as my battery was dying in my calipers and the tool started to loose its accuracy

that being said when it comes to measurement stuff harbor freight is not the greatest but it will get you by and as accurate as the X-carve is in material its actually a good match

harbor freight has it strengths and weakness so shop carefully and do your research I have noticed that after 1 full day of using there trim router and small router table they both seem to be going out which is very disappointing so I would try and stay away from those Items the problem seems to be the dust accumulation and that affected the bearings

I can run my dewalts and bosch routers all day err day without a problem but they are 3 times the cost and for some reason I now have 5 name brand routers to my 2 harbor freight ones so I guess I have a selection to choose from

that being said the dewalt that I had on my X-carve when it was a router went out after only a couple months right in the middle of an expensive job and almost ruined it although they replaced it free of cost but the tech working on it said it looks like the router had 10 plus years of wear on it all within a couple months I find that kinda crazy

also that being said lol my bosch router that I had on my cnc machine literally fell apart on me one day like the nut holding the bottom bearing literally fell off the router and I am not sure why

all that being said my conclusion is that you should not use a tool that is not designed for that purpose in this particular case as my new spindle is night and day difference compared to the router

wow!! we went off topic there and said “that being said” way to many times lol

The brushes in the Dewalt have about 150-200 hours in them. I burned up my first set in 2 months as well, running it too fast, running unoptimized projects for hours and hours, etc.

yup thats what happened to mine the brushes went out asap probably cause of the mdf dust my bosch router was doing the same thing

idk with all the talk about mdf dust exploding you think that a brushed motor creating a spark would be bad news cause it could start a fire

idk phil I might have to call bull on that one lol

lol well if a tool only lasts 10hr we would be buying new ones every week right?

oh yeah for sure I see what you mean about continuous use for some tools everything has a duty cycle

1 Like

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here with an update, it’s been a busy holiday season :slight_smile:Anyway, I did receive the Elair collets the week following Thanksgiving and so far everything has been working perfectly. So thanks all for the advice!

Eric

2 Likes