Christmas Tray

Hi All, I’m looking for some suggestions on how to finish a Christmas cookie tray. I know it needs to be some type of food friendly finish, but wasn’t sure how to go about it because of the various contents it will be holding. Thanks for the help.

5 Likes

One of the most food-safe finishes is mineral oil as it never goes rancid. With butcher block, the rule is one coat an hour for a day, one coat a day for a week, one coat a week for a month, then one coat a month in perpetuity. Don’t get tricked into paying for expensive butcher block oil, etc. Just plain old mineral oil available everywhere.

4 Likes

Thanks, I wasn’t sure how to go about it beings that it will only be use once a year.

i use mineral oil on cutting boards then use a warm mixture of 3:1 mineral oil and bees wax to seal it. warm it up enough to melt the wax and mix, brush or wipe it on, let it cool for an hour or so, remove excess and repeat.

1 Like

Thanks for the help

you can get it all at menards in the paint section with the stains, but its much cheaper if you make your own. i get the oil by the gallon from a farm supply store. not sure where you are but farm and fleet and TSC should have it, and beeswax is readily available.

1 Like

Found this … thought i would share…

1 Like

Thanks everyone, you are all awesome! Doing scroll saw work for the past 17 years I never made anything that would hold food items. I travel extensively for work and never really have much time to play around with the XC, so when I accomplish anything I get all besides myself like a little kid. This was drawn up in Corel Draw and done in Easel. Thanks again for all your input.

1 Like

General Finishes brand “Salad Bowl Finish” is my Go-To whether I’m finishing a bowl on the Lathe or finishing a candy tray created with the X-Carve.

1 Like

I use heat treated walnut oil as it hardens over time similar to tung oil. Mineral oil is fine but it won’t last. I am a production turner and use it on all my salad bowls and plates I sell.

1 Like