Clamp challenge

With double sided tape both the work piece and the spoil board needs to be perfectly flat and smooth to insure complete adhesion. If one is just a tiny bit bowed or warped you may not get a a true solid bond and the work piece may come loose. The bigger the work piece the more of a problem this can be. (How many of you are working with a 100% smooth spoil board with no cut marks?) When using masking tape on each side and superglue in-between the tape can actually fill minor gaps and deliver a solid connection.

I have used double sided tape with mixed results - sometimes it works well and other time not so much. I will say the bond with it is nowhere near as strong as the tape/superglue combo. If you apply the tape and then use a small (1" wide) roller to press it to the surface the bond is greatly increased. The superglue ties them together and when the carve is finished you will need to use a putty knife to work under all the edges to pry it loose. Usually takes a little time as it is stuck well. In fact, on thin stock I donā€™t roll the tape just press it down with my fingers. If rolled it sticks so well it is easy to break the piece trying to get it off the spoil board.

Also, clean up is a snap as the tape can be peeled off with no remaining residue. Double stick tape can sometimes be a pain to remove completely.

One other plus, it it raises the work piece a little off the spoil board. If you have you depth set correctly you can cut completely through the work piece and a layer of the tape but never touch the spoil board.

I suggest you try the masking tape / superglue method. I think you will be surprised how easy and well it works.

1 Like

You can use a compass with a pencil. Draw an arc starting from the outside diameter of the circle to the center. Do this form multiple points around the outer diameter. You will end up with cross hairs in the center of the circle. This also would work on a very large circle (imagine a 30ā€™ circle) the only limit to this, is how big of compass you can fabricate.

Jeremy

You may use double side tape. Cut small piece of tape and stick it on your piece to be carve directly on your waste table. After you complete your carving you may remove without much problem the sticky tapes.

+1 for the Masking tape & Superglueā€¦ I use it all the time.

This video explains the process.

1 Like

Another quick way to find the center of a circle is to draw the circle on the computer with drawing software of your choice put a mark aligned to center then print with no scaling and line it up on top of your work piece.

I have a 15" circle, but I do not have a printer that will do 15x15" paper.

Iā€™ve found that using double sided tape only fails horizontally. Perhaps itā€™s the tape Iā€™m using. It has great strength vertically, so you can try to pry it up all day long, but if you push it side to side, it starts to roll on itself and the piece will eventually move. Iā€™ve converted to either screws for putting blocks around the outside of the project.