CNC To The Rescue!

Needed Air Filter Housing…bought CNC…NUFF SAID!!

17 Likes

Very nice!

Nice but MDF may not be the best choice for that.
Unless you coated it with a fire retardant.

1 Like

Yeah I agree mdf is not the best material but its cheap and I had it laying around

not sure if I have to worry about fire your standard mdf will handle temps around 200 degrees or so and that little air compressor does not get that hot and it is well ventilated

I am more worried about the moisture effecting the mdf but all I am really trying to do is keep the big chunks of material out of the compressor

its just a compressor I got for free and am hacking together on the cheap

and yes lol the little tanks are plumbed into the big tank for more capacity

2 Likes

in that case get some aluminum stock and go to town.
:stuck_out_tongue:

We have light!!

2 Likes

40.00 Craigslist score

New computer for the x-carve

Does anyone know off hand if universal gcode sender will work on Windows xp?

edit: yes it does and so does Laser etch lol so we are all good!!

@PhilJohnson

Thanks Phil that will work

Sweet got the monitor in the corner all set up!!

1 Like

@PhilJohnson

Hey Phil buy a new computer man lol

1 Like

And the carve is in its new home for now

1 Like

Interestingly enough I currently have a VERY similar compressor pump/motor on my bench right now undergoing repair for the local lumber yard! it turns out it needs a new circuit breaker. Amazon here I come…

I do need to make a grill for a heat vent in the house though…

@JkWestphal

oh yeah those circuit breakers are super cheap on amazon

I gotta get on amazon to order a longer pc power cable and vga cable for the monitor I have a bunch of vga cables I wish I could just find a vga coupler local instead of buying a whole new cable and waiting for it

and you mean one that goes in the floor? what do they call those I think like floor register or something

@JkWestphal Before I got my CNC, I made a set of vent covers to go over the bedroom doors after ripping out an air duct. I used a router, but this would be the perfect kind of job for the X-Carve.

I think Steve Ramsey made some to go in the floor out of 1" thick stock.

I hear you I built a custom computer for my cad work

Gtx980
3tb hdd and 120gb ssd
Triple 40" monitors
I-7 processor

But lol I have filled it with dust more than once when my x-carve was in the house

But yeah these old computers work great for the machines and are cheap to replace

1 Like

I need to make one to fit on the toe kick under the kitchen sink cabinet. We installed ceramic tile on the floor but didnt want to remove all the cabinets and reset everything, including the sink and dishwasher plumbing.
When we were done, the old grill would not fit over the opening, it was hitting the underside of the cabinet.

@RobertA_Rieke, thanks, I should be able to use your plan to generate something to work for me. (with your blessing of course…)

1 Like

I made it up and didn’t put it on the computer, but you’re free to use it. May want to make it a W or a bunch of squiggles in the middle though, since I did the R for our last name. But whatever floats your boat. :smile:

Clean you x-carve much lol

1 Like

I plan on setting my electronics in a filtered enclosure.
Nov I move and will have a decent setup. I will finally have a garage to work out of. :smiley:

oh yeah here is an enclosure that I am working on for the laser it will be ventilated

also been fixing a little bit of the wiring

2 Likes

well this is a problem for sure lol

from the top of the table I only have 23" before I hit the roof above my machine (represented by the grey bars)

and currently the lid only opens 12 degrees

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem so I have full access to the machine