G38.2 Y15 F20
G92 Y-3

would translate

G21
G38.2 Y15 F20
G10 L2 P# Y-3

“#” = choice of workspace.
?

making future use of this, you simply need to call G54 for what P1 was set to? If my understanding is correct, I have some ideas of how I’m going to implement this.

Should G90 be used to be sure it’s in absolute when setting the offset?

Also, can or should, the z axis be setup with g92 or g10? If you are zeroing to the bottom of the material everytime at the same location I can see g10 being perfect and calling it with g54 (if my understanding is correct). on the other hand, for the jobs where z is set to the top of the material, would g92 be the optimum choice for setting the Z and calling g54 for the xy coordinates?

I want to be sure I write this out to be as adaptable as possible and want to get a sample of how others set up their zeros in the 3d space.

myself, for example, depending on what I’m doing , I work 1 of 3 ways

1. Set to the bottom of the material. I do this with most jobs that i’m just going to cut through. Or, where I want to be sure i’m getting a precise thickness.

2. top of material. signs, reliefs,

3. a reference point within a jig. see example in this post
    Laundry room table

For all of these methods, I’ve been using g92, however, looking at g10… it seems like the way to go. I was looking at g28 and g30 as methods of moving to a repeatable zero, however, it looks like this will be of more use for getting the tool out of the way or for tool changing.

Please correct me if I’m wrong in my understanding.