Coin Holders

Coin holders of various types should have its own category so I thought I would start it up.

Here are a few examples of things you can do with Easel, V-Carve Pro, Picengrave Pro 5, PicSender, Inkscape, and power point. So far my process has been working with Inkscape or powerpoint to modify or create a photo. For the laser details on the boards I used PEP 5 and send it with the Pic Sender. For the cutting element, I use either Easel or V-Carve Pro to set up the grooves and outlines. I generally use a 0.375 wide groove and lately I have been cutting to a depth of 0.4". I had it shallower earlier which works, but some of the coin holders are angled so they need the deeper grooves. I use an 8mm ball nose bit primarily, but for the smaller details I use a 2mm ball nose bit. I suspect a wide range of v-bits would work also for the detail work, but I have been pretty happy with the bits I have been using. Most of my wood has been 0.78" thick cedar but I have also used pine, oak, and some ply-wood. I look forward to seeing other posts of projects you have completed!
V/R

J.R.

5 Likes

Those are some awesome designs. My biggest selling coin rack is this the American Flag Coin Rack. The only part that I use the X-Carve on is to cut out the stars. You can watch a video showing how I made it here.

1 Like

Awesome design Mike!

Thanks! I I really love how using the different woods for the colors of the flag come together.

I haven’t tried to sell anything at this point. All have been gifts for others in the office as I learn the tools of the software and the machine. Your product is amazing. I suspect you can pay for your machine and software quickly with that beauty.

My X-Carve paid for itself really quickly! I really enjoy making these and they are profitable but I really need to figure out how much that profit is after I take into account the time it takes to make them. You have quite a collection going and it looks like you could have a good business. There are several other ideas I want to try here in the near future.

Here are a few files I use for the CJCS coin holder.
My process: Open the power point and add the text you want added. Save as JPG. Open the Picengrave Pro 5 and edit the photo to ensure it is 10"X10". I use the 0.9g grbl hex provided by Jtech. Select the photo in PEP5 and you can vary the settings but I have used 80-100IPM and 40% feed rate change at 0.01" pixel resolution. After PEP5 creates the g-code, I send it to the machine via the Picsender software. Once, the laser part is complete I remove the laser attachment and set up for the 8mm ball nose bit, zero it out and use the v-carve pro file and picsender to cut out the slots and outer edge. Laser time is about 3 hours and cut time is about 45 minutes. I use the shallow cuts within the file to verify I have the positioning correct. I use the deep cuts to create the final product. Sand off the edges a bit and finish with a Helmsman’s Gloss spray polyurethane or a paint on version.

cjcs template.pptx (1.3 MB)CJCS Coin Holder.crv (1.1 MB)

Small demo at You Tube:

1 Like

…and final product. Polyurethane is still drying but other than that, all set for delivery.

1 Like

I don’t have an X carve yet, but I have made some coin holders in the recent past. Here are some photos of them.

Uploading image.jpeg…

2 Likes

Not to mention this one!

These look great Marc! I have seen come coin holders with angled cuts in them. I wonder how we could get that in the x-carve cuts. Hmmm

I used a table saw for the angled cuts, (there are actually two angles involved). Then a router table for the grooves. One has to be extremely careful when making those cuts on the table saw. It’s an odd cut to make and any slight mistake cane be disastrous.

I could see the angle cuts being a challenge. I am just curious if anyone has experience making the angled cut with the x-carve so you could leave the stock wood clamped down flat and let the machine do the work

I imagine it could be done, if decent 3D modeling software is used and a small step over rate. It would not be as fast as a table saw, but it would more than likely be a lot safer. I was doing a piece of mahogany and it kicked back at me, resulting in a trip to the emergency room.

Of course I was not using a cross cut sled with a jig at that time. I am trying to design a new jig now to prevent that issue.

I’am stationed in Sicily, and coin holders are pretty popular and have been my biggest seller as well as shadow boxes.
All made with the X-carve.

Jason- well done! Naples should be a good source of military and civilian members looking for these. Thanks for sharing!