Collet adapter / drill chuck

Hello everyone. I’d like to be able to run drilling operations for various size holes in aluminum. I need to make holes at the following sizes and depths:

Ø1.6mm @ ~4mm deep
Ø2.5mm @ ~20-25mm deep
Ø2.8mm @ ~25mm deep
Ø3mm @ ~25mm deep

For the most part I can find carbide drill bits which will achieve the diameter and depth I need, however they are with shank sizes which won’t fit into the 1/8" collet I have from Precise Bits for the Dewalt router. I do have a drill press, however it doesn’t have the reach to be able to drill about half of the holes I need. The runout on that machine isn’t that great either (cheap Harbor Freight drill press). I can’t really manually drill with a hand held since accuracy will not be there.

So here’s what I’m looking for: are there any decent collet adapters which can go from 1/8" to the diameters above? Or maybe a drill chuck type adapter or something which can go onto the router? Again, I’m trying to do drilling operations with the collet adapters or drill chuck adapter, not milling. For milling I would use standard endmills with the Precise Bit collet.

Precise Bits does have a 3mm collet I see so that is an option for one of those drill bits. Would be good to keep it consistent with as little changes as possible to the setup to run the different hole sizes.

If there’s another way to do this then I’m open to suggestions! Thanks.

What about using the CNC to locate the holes and then drill by hand?
You’d be well exceeding the rpm recommended for any drill bit by using it in a router. Last thing you’d want to do is weld the bit inside the hole and have it break off.

I think I recall others have performed drilling operations successfully with the router with a pecking operation. Can’t remember exactly, but I was going to attempt something along those lines and use Gwizard to get the appropriate feedrate.

I’m a little concerned that even if I start the holes on the router then try to finish by hand, I’d get them off axis in the hand operation. Maybe there’s a jig of some kind that can be used to keep the drill straight.

Typically these are done with an endmill. You can get “drill mills”, but I’m not sure that you’ll find what you need.

Milescraft makes a handheld drill guide and there are cone jigs for drilling perpendicular holes (probably not for tiny drill bits, though).

How about something like this to drill pilot holes and then go in with your hand drill to enlarge the ones you need to enlarge?

He needs to drill 25mm. Those won’t quite reach halfway.

True, which is why I said perhaps these would drill a pilot hole to locate the next bit that will follow the smaller hole and go deeper. Probably a hand drill/ drill guide operation for those. Those bits will go the depth that he needs for the smallest holes. (1.6mm Dia @ 4mm deep).

1 Like

Missed that part…oops. We’re on the same page.

The other thing to keep in mind is that with a CNC you can cut a larger hole than your bit, so for example you could cut the 2.5, 2.8, and 3mm holes all with a 2.5mm bit if you can find one long enough (though you’d have to go real slow to make sure it doesn’t break). Don’t know if a 2.5mm bit will survive any sideways force in cutting aluminum at 25mm deep though. That reduces your problem from getting 4 different collet sizes to 2.

Try a jig like this to keep it vertical.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/jigs-guides-and-fixtures/73237-drill-guide

1 Like

I think what I would do is take the router off and them mount the hand drill motor to the router mount with some hose clamps. Since you’re not doing any x or y axis cutting, you won’t have to worry about side forces moving the drill

Just my $0.02

Go to tools today and search for dowel drill boring bits. I think you will find what you are looking for. I use v-carve pro and aspire software which has a peck drill tool path to facilitate the drilling operation you are wanting to do.

I do a lot of milling, all you need are extended 2 flute end mills. You can find them on Ebay. For Aluminum, use a 1350mm / 350mm feed rate at about 4k rotary speed. Keep a can of machine oil to help keep the material and bit cooler. You won’t even need a special collet, most extended reach bits are 1/8 shank.

Thanks for all the tips. I decided to try using an end mill with a pecking operation from Fusion360 to make some of the holes. I have one on the way and hope to test soon.