Combination Homing/Limit Switch Circuit Schematic

That’s great, thanks! That should only require changing the wiring from C/NO to C/NC on the switches, with only the 2 conductors going to each switch, right?

Assuming the hard limits aren’t active during the homing cycle, this looks like a much better and easier solution than my wiring scheme. Maybe not as much fun to build and design though… :smile:

Yes, on the wiring.

My guess is that hard limits are suspended for the homing cycle, but I can’t test this right now.

The $27 parameter moves the spindle off the homing switches so that you don’t get a hard limit trip after the homing cycle completes, so that tells me that the hard limits are not active during the homing cycle, but get turned on right after it completes.

At this point, I have been spending more time on getting familiar with the machine and software tool path that I haven’t done much of anything else with the machine. Also, I have it in the house right now, not a great place for carving. :smiley:

Nice, I’ll see if I can give it a test some time. Between full time work and full time school, my play time in the garage is severely lacking. I’ve got all kinds of plans, but so far all I’ve basically done is make some drawer fronts and drawer pockets. I’m hoping to actually make something creative soon though.

I just tested it and the homing cycle worked correctly with the hard limits set to on.

Great news, thanks!

I’m looking at doing this as well (normally closed limit swtiches). I’m hoping to document the process HERE once I get around to it. I think a pretty important upgrade that should be done when witching to NC is good shielded wires for your switches. I don’t know HOW important this is, but whenever I read about NC limit switch that point comes up.

Good luck!

False triggers with Normally Closed switches are fewer than false triggers with Normally Open switches, everything else being the same.

Doesn’t mean that you should abandon good noise avoidance procedures.

Anyone that reads this forum knows by now that I’m a big fan of soft limits. I have found one scenario where that breaks down.

If for some reason (loose pulleys, slipping belts, electrical noise, etc) the stepper motors miss steps then the machine would be out of sync with the software and soft limits would be compromised.

In this situation the hard limits would still work, because it’s not a breakdown of the software that causes the error.

2 Likes

Good point. I’m probably going to implement both systems.