Common questions for X-Carve Pro

I wanted to create a quick thread for common questions related to the X-Carve Pro here. We are constantly updating our FAQ page so be sure to check that as well if you are running into issues before posting!

1 Like

Hi,

I’m new here and just finished setting up my X-carve a few weeks ago. I don’t get as much time out here in the shop as I would like but when I do I’m trying to fix an issue. I’m trying to make a 50 star pattern for a flag. I have used different projects created by others and also created my own. Each time I run it the first star that is carved is the correct size and as it goes they increase in size and as it moves left to right they increase in size. I have tried to find some videos and articles to help but no luck. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Tony

1 Like

Tony, try this method, it works every time for me :+1:

1 Like

Also I made this video yesterday for the times when surfacing is not an option…

I actually came across that video a few minutes ago and will try that. I improved my results by adjusting my x and y axis to be parallel to the waste board. The last run I did was greatly improved but still not perfect. I am carving into plywood and that might be the last of the issues. So I will try the card shim.

On another question for some reason I home my machine before I start but when the carve begins it starts about 2" over from where it should. Then when the carve is complete it ends about 2" over from home. I didn’t have this issue until 2 or 3 test carves. Any idea of the issue?

You home and then move the bit to the edge of the board and select carve and then “use current position”?

And then you send it and the carve is still off by 2". It sounds like maybe “use last position” is being selected.

Regarding returning to home, it will only return to work 0,0 (which is set at the “use current position” OR “use prior position”) so if the work 0,0 is off. Then that’s where its returning to :man_shrugging:

Take a look at that screen and lmk if this fixes the issue :+1:

I’ll try that tonight and let you know. Thanks!

1 Like

@Brandon_Cullum - I have a Shapeoko 3XXL.
It has a gadget to zero the X, Y, and Z axes to the left front of the workpiece.
It also has a gadget to turn the spindle on and off with appropriate g-codes.
Does the X-Carve Pro have these features or something functionally equivalent?

1 Like

Brandon’s always up to something and is a pretty busy guy, so I’ll jump into this one.
The Xcarve Pro can use a X,Y,Z Corner probe like the one in the photo. However Easel does not natively support them, But you can use any number of other Gcode senders that does natively support them. I use OpenBuilds Control as my gcode sender and there is a built in set of popups to guide one through the use of the corner probe.

Regarding the Spidle Control, the Xcarve Pro is equipped with a true Spindle with a VFD controller which does operate and set RPM via gcode.

:+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I am considering buying this machine. I am curious if it has the capabilities to carve relief engravings, such as rounded ropes and braids, like the attached pic.

it sure can both models can

2 Likes

I come from a fabrication background, where the CNC program was an exported solid file. I have little artistic ability. What software creates these contours? Does Easel do this?

1 Like

oh, no

Homepage | Vectric

this will vcarve pro rope

rope.bmp (2.1 MB)

1 Like

Easel cannot generate 3d relief toolpaths.

Perspnaly I use carveco, but it can also be done with Fusion360 and vetric software. These are the top 3 at the moment.

1 Like

I just now noticed that I can’t connect my xcarve pro to a GFI circuit and need to ask what the power amp breaker surge protection is needed and recommended. My garage has GFI protection. I may consider running a dedicated fused circuit. Is this necessary?

Which carveco are you using?

1 Like

Oh , i just replied yo your post, but I use Carveco Maker. :+1:

Youd need maker plus to desig in 3d, but plain maker works great with existing 3d models including .stl files

Hello everyone, New here to the CNC world. Looking to purchase the X carve Pro for personal art work. Was looking to see if anyone in my area has this machine… Located near Riverside, CA 92557.

Please contact me or send me a private message if there is anyone in my area that owns one of these machines. I would love to chat with you before making the final purchase as this is a pretty big decision for me. I really really appreciate all and any help provided.

Thanks!!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.