[Completed] Railway signal as garden ornament

Couple of evenings making these parts from MDF.

There is a red and a green glass lens and not shown, a pair of solar powered decking lights.

Can you guess what it’ll be?

I’m really enjoying the X-Carve with MDF, nice clean cuts and ultra accurate pocketing and cut outs.

Cheers

Ian

2 Likes

Looks almost like a train signal to me. Planning on running a railroad? :smiley:

1 Like

Guess it was too easy Dan :smile:

Not a whole railway but a garden ornament of a signal. Had the glass which are genuine British Rail signal glass for a while, wife is a railways fan and we’ve got an X-Carve. Seemed natural really.

Needs some paint and a little construction so hopefully done over the weekend. Aiming for something like this, below.

Cheers

Ian

2 Likes

Dang, that’ll make for a cool-looking decoration! With LED lights, it’ll look really awesome at night, too. Heck, as far as that goes, rig up a microcontroller and a motion detector or something to change the signal based on nearby movement. :smiley:

1 Like

I need something like that for my garden when the deer come around to visit the “salad bar”

Triggered by a motion sensor and a ding-ding-ding sounder and moving flags it should scare the not so little ditch rats off.

1 Like

Mind the Gap!

Sorry…

Chris

1 Like

All priming and painting is done. Seal and assembly tomorrow. :smile:

Looking cool, man!

1 Like

Just needs a final polish and mounting on a pole.

Solar lights all working, will try and get a picture after dark.

Cheers

Ian

2 Likes

Dark enough to here now for the solar lights to automatically switch on. Hope that confusing signal doesn’t cause a train wreck. :wink:

1 Like

Finally got around to pole mounting the signal, added a finial and also carved a small sign.

Our local railway is the Great Western Railway, or G.W.R. So for the wife, Elizabeth, it’s E.W.R, and 004, or number 4 being her lucky number.

It’s carved in anodised aluminium and worked out nicely. :smile:

Cheers

Ian

4 Likes

Nice job.
I’m tempted to do something similar, but being a Train Controller, I’d never live it down…

1 Like