Connecting E-Stop to system

I’ve checked out the e-stop assembly instructions
http://x-carve-instructions.inventables.com/accessories/e-stop-with-enclosure/
and while they seem to be thorough as far as they go, I am unclear how to connect this to my system.

I am certain that this is so basic they felt it unnecessary, but… I’ve managed to screw something up somewhere…

> Cut and strip the power cable to your setup. Feed the two pieces of cable through the cable strain relief piece and attach the stripped ends of the power cable (pictured in red) to each side of the NC (purple) screw terminal

As I read the instructions, one cuts the power cable in half and inserts one end with two wires, the plug end I presume. (I have three wires including ground, so I assume they assume that I have a two prong system, or to disregard the ground.) I run them into the box and wire them per the instructions above.

My issue is that I am unsure where I should go from there. I have searched the forum, but have been unable to find anything that describes any wiring ‘outside’ the box. Granted, most of my experience is DC, but even so, there should be something connected to the system. If I were to wire this the way, I would have an e-stop box with a pigtail. Most likely, just a short were I foolish enough to try to use it…

I know its wrong, but would prefer not to ‘experiment’ to get it right.

What am I not seeing?

Do I connect the other end to the ‘blue’ NC?

Help please…

-sterling

the stop work when you hit the red button, it cuts the power completely off, you have to twist knob to clockwise to engage power back again.

if you want to wire two S-stop they need to be connected SERIES so if it can cut the power .
i have mine connector to the 24v power source so it cut the power to the step motors.

Remember the emergency stop button has two parts. When you press the button one circuit is broken, and another one is connected. So make sure you get the right side, otherwise it will only turn on when you press the button!

OK, Somehow I got it in my head that it was to cut AC power to the whole system, not just to the Arduino.

I like having them in series. One for each side of the table.

So, as I understand it, this arrangement will leave my Dewalt 611 router running, and only shut down the movement.

-sterling

my E-stop cut the power to the step motor and
the router is connected to solid state relay.

If you want to cut power to the whole system, Rockler make an excellent E-Stop. You can learn about it here;

http://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

I’ve got my CNC cart’s electrical system designed with two circuits. The first one has an E-stop on the hot wire that kills power to the power supply and the router. The second one has the vacuum and spare outlets on it. I approached it with the idea that the things that could cause the most damage or be most difficult to replace should be protected by the E-stop.

I used the E-stop from Inventables and made a custom box for it that I can move to either side of the front of the cart, it has worked well so far.

1 Like

Can you share your wiring diagram, please?

It’s not pretty, but here’s a picture I just took of it. I might redraw it later in an electrical drawing program if it’ll help.

1 Like

I wired my e stop to the main ac power cord that supplies the whole system. hit the panic button and everything stops.

While working on the deck board project, where the work pieces are not of a true thickness and can vary from one end of the board to the other, Which is annoying as hell BTW, I have found that I can pause things in UGS, hit the e stop to stop and release the steppers, manually adjust the depth of cut by a small amount if I feel it is cutting too deep or shallow, reset the estop and resume the program in UGS. By pausing the position is not lost and things can go on thier merry way.

1 Like

The reason why people wire it to the output of the power supply is because the power supply has capacitors that may continue to supply 24V for a fraction to a few seconds after the mains input is killed depending on load. I wired my e-stop on the mains side, and so far I haven’t found the slight delay from hitting the stop to when the motors stop an issue, certainly less than a second. The bigger issue has always been the time delay to when I hit the e-stop itself…

2 Likes

So, basically, your splicing the switch between the hot wire of the 120 in? Works like a light switch then, right.

Yup, as effective as pulling the plug out of the wall, just more elegant and probably faster.

1 Like

Yup, right on the hot wire in. It’s nothing more than a glorified light switch, just with an enclosure that shows exactly what I think before I hit the big red button. :smile:

3 Likes

I’m using a power strip that connects the controller and router now. Same principal, just lot as pretty, I guess…
Only thing is, I wish it would STOP immediately, when I need it to.

1 Like