Continuous Depth

Congratulations.
79 next month…hmm.

1 Like

Thanks again.

Shab

If I understand this question correctly, yes. The gray values determine the depth that will be cut. Of course, that means you can’t do a “smooth” transition between the depths. You would have to increase the number of grays to smooth the transition (lessen the stair-step effect). I’ve used five, six and even seven for my depth carvings - some lakes don’t need too many.

So, will this system work for the sample attached here? How does Easel “know” what grey value is what depth?

Thank you,

Shab Levy

Easel scales from black being full material depth to white being not cut.

So let’s say you have a half inch piece of material, if you have a squares as color (R/G/B):

255/255/255 (0 cut depth)
191/191/191 (0.125" cut depth)
127/127/127 (0.25" cut depth)
63/63/63 (0.375" cut depth)
0/0/0 (0.5" cut depth)

1 Like

Ah yes, this makes perfect sense now. Thanks for explaining.

Shab Levy

Shab, that exact image didn’t work when I imported it into Easel. The levels are messed up for some reason. But, after I converted it to a .SVG in inkscape and imported it, it worked fine. What program did you use to make that inverted pyramid shape?

I used Adobe Illustrator to make the graduated squares and simply saved it as a .png file.
I am sorry, I didn’t convert the .png image to SVG file because I was just wondering if my gradation was done right (which apparently it was) and it shows that at least I understood the principle of depth mapping.
I understand that the file needs to be the “special kind of SVG file” to work with Easel.

Thank you for the help.

Shab Levy