Controller software

Yes I figured. Jogging very smooth.
Touch probe working as well, I don’t know if it is setting 0 point for the Z position after.
Here is what commands I’m sending.
for sensing probe; G38.2 Z-.5 F1 (Stops as soon as touch the plate)
Setting z 0 ; G92 Z.7805
Is this sounds ok. to you.

We never tested any touch probe commands with PicSender, but it will execute any of the commands that your grbl is capable of. Click the $# button and see if the G92 changed for your offset. Thanks for testing this for us.

1 Like

I ran into a similar problem with UGS yesterday on a gcode file of about 278,000 lines. In my case, I kept getting a null file message as soon as it started sending code. I shut it down, opened the file in GRBL Controller 3.6.1 and ran the entire job without incident.

I have not heard of Grbl controller. I will need to find it. After yesterday ugs is dead to me.

i couldnt figure out how to use grbl controller lol every time id send a job the machine would just take off in a diagonal direction across the wasteboard

I don’t think I’ll give up on UGS, but I will be using GC 3.6.1 for large jobs.

Here’s a link to GC:
http://zapmaker.grblcontroller.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/

Grbl controller has some known issues as well, namely streaming can get corrupted in certain cases. In my experience, Chilipeppr has high computer performance requirements and a complex chain of dependencies, which means a lot of things that can wrong. It’s great for simple jobs, but not 100% dependable yet.

UGS so far has had the best track record to date (and is the most mature), but using the nightly or beta version you can run into problems still. But often problems with really long jobs are caused by something external, like a USB communication error or some system update that triggers in the background.

It’s best to notify Will Winder(UGS developer) about this issue. He may have a solution or can issue a patch. Remember that this software is created and maintained by the community, so things may not run as you expect if you run jobs that are not common. Always report these types of problems so everyone can benefit from your experience.

It seems to me, that a much more stable approach to this is to use something like WinCnC. Although it is not free or open source, the cost of the software is worth it to me if I don’t have to worry about $800 quilted maple getting messed up by the gcode sending software. Just my two cents. By the way, I support the idea of free and open source as long as it is stable enough to feel confident putting expensive materials in the cnc

1 Like

Wow, that’s big-time. ~$1,300 to start, but I get your point. :wink:

Yeah, it’s not cheap, but how much is peace of mind worth?

Depends on sales numbers… :wink:

And cost of materials. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

One other option is to go from a arduino, grbl based system to one that runs high quality stepper drivers and is controlled with a Linux computer running LinuxCNC. Linux and Linuxcnc are open source and well supported with thousands of machines running it.

Dave

That’s an interesting option as well

Picengravertoo: I downloaded your trial version and get the following error message. I’m installing on Win XP Pro with 2 gig of ram.
“The application failed to initialize properly (0Xc000135) Click Ok to terminate the application”

Any ideas?

This is the way I am going. I have a linux box and LinuxCNC installed on it. I have Gecko drivers and 280 oz steppers. All I need now is the time to make my mods to the machine and put it together.

Dave

I’m using UGS 1.0.8 that gave me the null message immediately after starting to stream code. A friend had a similar issue a week or so ago with a file of about 280k lines. His solution was to change his toolpath parameters to get a file under 100k lines and it ran fine. When I had the issue with UGS, all I did was shut it down, start GC3.6.1 and it ran the job (which took over four hours) with no blips.

By the way, the little minion in my avatar pic is Lemmy from Motörhead. :sunglasses::sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You need to update your XP PC with all the latest Net framework updates. Is it updated to SP3?

This was laser engraved using an Acer Aspire One laptop with 1gb ram, XP Home SP3 with PicSender streaming the gcode.