Controller software

Did you try opening the Start_Windows.bat file?

i did with no luck but then i moved the jar file to the desktop and it opened

Yes, it is limited to 256, which is matching with Arduino buffer.

My Chilipeppr stress tests disabled everything I could, including the 3d viewer as you suggested, and pre-loaded the SPJS buffer as much as possible. I gave Chilipeppr as much of a chance to succeed as all of the other GUIs. I believe I emailed you a couple times about improving performance, where you gave me these same pointers.

It seemed like it was the streaming updates to the basic g-code line location and positions were too fast for the browser at those high data rates. Often, I’d see everything delayed by several seconds, and the delay would steadily increase over time until the browser froze or crashed. IF you can install a refresh rate limiter to the entire GUI, I think it’ll fix this problem.

In my tests, SPJS’s Go languange is fast enough for the upper end of performance, just as UGS’ Java, Easel’s/GrblWeb’s NodeJS, GrblPanel’s .NET, and all of the Python-based GUIs. But, that’s not the problem. Go language’s “pause-everything” garbage collection (GC) would audibly delay the streaming during these tests. The tests were conducted about a month ago, and AFAIK, the SPJS build I used included these GC speed improvements. That said, the Go language is still under heavy development, so it may be soon that they fix this problem or introduce new ones. It’s hard to tell.

I just try to see what will happen. Put my Virtual Memory back to Windows Suggested, (2054) sent one job, UGS 2.0 crushed at the beginning. Disappeared from windows screen, left bit in the job turning in same spot.

That sounds like what happened to me. I will increase my VM and see if it helps (sounds like it will)

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

after install of Net Framework 4 - I now get this error message: Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.

I have 4.5.1 , I believe this is the latest.

What Net Frameworks is already installed on your PC? I found this information online that may help you.

http://support.reincubate.com/kb/common-errors/im-getting-an-net-framework-initialisation-error-unable-to-find-a-version-of-the-runtime-to-run-this-application-error-when-try-to-open-the-application

If Net Framework 2 is not installed already, then follow the link to the Microsoft web site download for it.

picengravertoo, that worked. Thanks

Just finished running a 4,979,659 line raster X,Y & Z gcode test file with .004" incremental step ahead and step over moves on our Shapeoko 2 flashed with X-carve’s grbl 9i. The gcode also included a variable feedrate on every line of gcode. While it was running, i sent/received emails, browsed and posted on the internet and generated more gcodes files with PicEngrave Pro 5 on a Win 8.1 PC with 6gb ram. PicSender streamed it flawlessly with no errors or hiccups and it was 5:04:17 total run time.

If anyone wants to test there favorite gcode streamer using this file, here is the download for it. It was only generated as a test file with Z axis moves between zero and -.004" from an image.

http://picengrave.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

1 Like

I got your program to open in windows. when i unlock it how do i jog the axis’s. hitting any of the buttons doesn’t do anything. so far it looks interesting but i don’t want to buy before i try.

Hi David,

You have to set the startup blocks first for the default jog feedrate & units your using when PicSender connects to the com port. Click on the info button @ lower right corner as there is information on how to do it in there.

Sorry for being a pain but on a scale of 1 -10 I am a 1 on knowing this stuff. If there is one thing about your site and software it’s the lack of instructions on how to use for the total beginner. I looked in the help file and didn’t see anything that would help me set the zero and/or jog the axis’s. A PDF manual would be a big help.

need more help in order to buy or get interested. You need to market to the beginner also.

2 Likes

Hi David,

Your absolutely right. We rarely have any questions from users of our PicSender program as the UI is very simple to understand and use. When we do though, it’s normally asked on a forum, response to our registration email or through our Contact US page. We will surely consider your advice and look into writing something up.

Meanwhile. After connecting to the com port, select GRBL Z Code and the Metric, or if using inches make sure it’s not selected. if you have set the startup blocks for the default feedrate and units and your machine has homing switches, select the $H button. If no homing switches, just select the jog distance value in the drop down menu for the X&Y and then the one for Z. If you want to change the jog feedrate, in the drop down next to the FX button, change it there and then select the FX button.

Use the arrows on the screen for jogging the X&Y axis, or the arrow keys on your keyboard or keypad to where you want to set zero for those axis’s, then click on the Zero X and Zero Y button. Jog your Z axis with the up and down on the screen, or Page Up or Page down on your keyboard/keypad and then click the Zero Z button. If you want to set all three axis’s at one time, select the Zero X/Y/Z button. These positions will be saved to grbl so the next time you connect to the com port, it will return to the same zero place.

If you need a better understanding of gcode commands, this PDF was written by John Champlain.

If you have anymore questions, I would glad to help you.

Ok, I did exactly as you outlined above and still not able to jog the axis’s. The numbers change in each of the axis windows but no movement on the CNC. I do have homing switches on the machine by my Z axis is broke so out of curiosity I tried the $H command and the Z axis started to raise to which I had to turn off. I put a value of 1 in the X-Y and Z axis and no movement just values changing on the screen.

Any Ideas on that?

And per your remark about about your UI being very simple to understand and use that may be correct for anyone who has been using a CNC or Laser cutter before. I have built computers before and programmed database programs to run business’s so this is something new and intriguing.

I appreciate all your help but be careful to not make a newbie feel stupid. One could take offense to your first line above and shop else-ware.

Hi David,

I meant no offense, just an explanation of why a help PDF has not been written by us like you suggested. You have been using UGS, so you do have some CNC experience and an understanding of jogging an axis.

Since you have no Z limit/home switch working, you need to disable the homing in grbl. In the Do Cmd window, type in $22=0 and click the Do Cmd. button. It should jog then.

If you remember our conversation, I have same problem as well. Z is jogging once, if you hit PgDn or PgUp again only numbers changing on the screen but no movement. I certainly believe this software is working solid. BUT we can not operate if jogging doesn’t response like UGS does. This is the only handicap for it. If you please focus on this matter. UGS is jogging no matter which screen or tab you are within the incremental numbers on the small window.

I loaded the demo of PicSender and the install worked perfectly, I started it up and it connected to my Grbl with no trouble. I set the step values and then clicked the X and Y jog buttons. Like the others here described, nothing moved, the X/Y values on the screen changed correctly but no commands were being sent to the Grbl (or if any commands were being sent they were not being treated and valid commands by Grbl).

Hi Alan,

Both me and John Champlain (Author of PicSender) both have a Shapeoko 2 with the stock Arduino UNO flashed with the X-Carves grbl 9i & gshield V5, but neither of us can replicate the same jogging issues you and David are having, so it’s very difficult to diagnose. I’m attaching my grbl version & settings, and startup blocks…$100 down will be machine specific, so compare above those settings. I do not have any limit or home switches, so those settings are disabled.

$I View Build Info
[0.9i.20150620:]

$N View Startup Blocks
$N0=G20G91
$N1=F20

Display Settings
$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=18 (dir port invert mask:00010010)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.005 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=1 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=0 (homing dir invert mask:00000000)
$24=0.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=0.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$100=52.493 (x, step/mm)
$101=52.493 (y, step/mm)
$102=320.000 (z, step/mm)
$110=3500.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=3500.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=3500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=1000.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=1000.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=150.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=290.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=290.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=150.000 (z max travel, mm)

If you and David can post your settings, maybe we can figure what is going on…