Correct settings for blue PVC?

If you want to test Corian, you might be able to get some small scrap pieces from a local kitchen counter installer.

2 Likes

Has anyone used an X-carve to create a lithophane?

I have made several using the candlestone…

5 Likes

Just to echo Phil here, I have gone 180-200 ipm with v bits in pvc sheet.

@JDM: You’ve gone 180-200 ipm with vbits in pvc sheet on an X-carve? Or on some other machine?

yes, on a 1000mm X-Carve. Shallow and fast was the only way to keep the melting down. Upcut endmills do very well around 80 for 1/16" and 40 for 1/32.

I used 3 different sized v bits and they all wanted to leave remelt debris in the cut.

2 Likes

This is kind of what I was referring to about it being the bit. V bits cut well but don’t evacuate chips like an end mill. Not so much of an issue in wood but can be a big pain in plastics. I use an air assist to blow the plastic away from the v bits when engraving acrylic.

@ErikJenkins: I bought some sheets of the candlestone as per your suggestion and I love the material! It carves well with engraving bits and the surface I end up with is very smooth. I will definitely use more of it in future projects! I might even try to carve a lithophane.

2 Likes

I am glad you found it useful. I keep a stack of it on hand for a bunch of projects.

1 Like

I just received 5 sheets/squares myself. Looking forward to using it soon.

1 Like

@ErikJenkins: What software did you use to create the lithophanes? This surely wasn’t Easel. Can it be done with V-Carve Pro?

Not %100 but I think you need Aspire or PhotoVcarve. An alternate solution is PicEngrave Pro. Thats what I have/use. You mostly hear about it on the forums as software for lasers but it does lithophanes as well. Worth looking at for the price. http://www.picengrave.com/

2 Likes

3 Likes

A lithophane is just a carving thin enough that light can go through.
The extra depth of the material blocks more light.
I believe this is Translucency (Transparency and translucency - Wikipedia)

sounds like you have your answer. buy some soap-stone and start carving.

1 Like

There are great products that can create lithophanes…Aspire and PicEngrave Pro work very well (I have used these). Just make sure whatever you use to create the lithophane that the model created is setup so dark areas are the higher/thicker spots and the lighter areas are the lowest/thinest. Pretty much anything that can take a photo to an STL will work.

2 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

Sounds like a good feature for my program…

2 Likes

And, one more option if anyone is interested

http://210.94.199.180/ - digital playground.