Corrupt X-controller?

Please help,
I have spent the last 4 days fighting with my pc /laptop & x-carve!

I have an X-carve with an x-controller. My PC is a semi high end gaming rig I built myself. I-7-6700k @ 4.01 GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Windows 10 64 bit, Latest Windows Update installed.

My laptop has similar specs. (Used to test against PC.)

The problem I am having is that the USB connection between the PC / Laptop and the x-controller is disconnecting at random times.Then I loose Com port 3 until I restart the x-controller ( unplug the usb cable etc…etc…)? This began with not being able to connect to the x-controller at all because of a USB connection failure.

The following is a list of troubleshooting steps I have taken so far with no success.

1. Replaced USB Cable
  2. Tried shorter USB Cable
  3. Flashed X-controller with the latest GRBL 1.1f
  4. Moved AC power cord to 611 router away from all other wires.
  5. Moved 611 router wire to separate circuit.
  6. Updated all Com port drivers.
  7. Updated all Host port drivers.
  8. Unchecked all power management boxes.
  9. Used powered USB adapter.
  10. Updated Pic sender to ver. 2.9.0.2
  11. Tried UGS.
  12. Tried Easel
  13. Bypassed USB connection on the back of the X-Controller and plugged into the micro USB connection inside.
  14. Shook everything vigorusly!!!

I am leaning toward a problem with the “board”. I tried all the same steps above on my laptop and had the same outcome. Problem is I dont know exactly what I’m looking at inside the controller. Another thing that points me toward “the board” is as you can see in the message below I get a Low memory available, stability problems may occur message, and a bunch of other messages that I dont fully understand back from the Arduino IDE when I re-flash Grbl to my X-Controller as explained here: https://inventables.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2058884-how-do-i-re-flash-grbl-to-my-x-controller-arduino- .

Thank you in advance,
Mike

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

In file included from C:\Users\miked\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:43:0,

from C:\Users\miked\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl\examples\grblUpload\grblUpload.ino:27:

C:\Users\miked\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:56:0: warning: “max” redefined

#define max(a,b) (((a) > (b)) ? (a) : (b))

^

In file included from sketch\grblUpload.ino.cpp:1:0:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:93:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define max(a,b) ((a)>(b)?(a):(b))

^

In file included from C:\Users\miked\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:43:0,

from C:\Users\miked\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl\examples\grblUpload\grblUpload.ino:27:

C:\Users\miked\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:57:0: warning: “min” redefined

#define min(a,b) (((a) < (b)) ? (a) : (b))

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:92:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define min(a,b) ((a)<(b)?(a):(b))

^

C:\Users\miked\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:61:0: warning: “bit” redefined

#define bit(n) (1 << n)

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:123:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define bit(b) (1UL << (b))

^

Sketch uses 31422 bytes (97%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 1646 bytes (80%) of dynamic memory, leaving 402 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
Low memory available, stability problems may occur.

avrdude: stk500_paged_load(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync
avr_read(): error reading address 0x0000
read operation not supported for memory “flash”
avrdude: failed to read all of flash memory, rc=-2
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x91
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x91

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

You are much better off loading in a .hex file that is known to work, rather than using the compile from source code method. At least then you know you don’t have compile errors.

If you are trying to set compile time options, then obviously you have to compile.

Here is the Inventables build of grbl 1.1f scroll down to select your version.

Here is information about using Xloader to put it into your controller.

Thank you for your reply Larry, I’m desperately trying to learn my way around the Arduino platform but for now it has me a bit stumped. Forgive me if my questions do not use the proper terminology.

Before I attempt to Flash again with Xloader is there a need to clear the Arduino of the errors? If so how would I go about that.

Thanks again
Mike

No joy…X loader just says “Upload Failed”

Ok, you have either a communications error, or maybe a bad circuit board.

It’s time to call Inventables.

My thoughts too, I took it apart this am. With no power ie. the cord unplugged but the usb cable attached any movement of the board causes usb connection and disconnections.

@LarryM Problem Solved!! I can’t say how Happy I am with Inventables. I explained my symptoms and the steps I took, the nice Woman on the phone said she would send out a new controller board and “Poof” I had it the next day! Mind you my machine is 2 years old. That my friends is customer support!
The board comes with GRBL 1.0c installed, I really like 1.1f do you think its ok to upgrade? I do about equal spindle and laser work.

I don’t recommend 1.1f for laser work. I have a 1.0c version that supports lasers. I do recommend it for laser work. The downside to my version is that it doesn’t support real time modification of feed rate or spindle speed.

1.1f should load in ok if that’s the way you want to go.

1.1f is fine for spindle work.

how long should that update take? Mine has been “uploading” for 10 times longer than it took to download…