Crazy inlay question

I know that you can set up inlays in Easel, but do you think there’s a way to mill the pockets out of wood, but then send the g-code to a 3D printer to print the inlay part? Is the g code exported from Easel compatible with 3D printer software?

No, the G-code as produced by Easel will not be compatible with your 3D printer.

Your idea has merit however. You might be able to use other software on the 3D print side.

If you do your whole design in Easel, it should be possible to export all of the design and get SVG shapes for your pocket. You can then import the SVG shapes into a program like Microsoft’s 3D Builder (download it from Microsoft for free) and use that to make your 3D parts. You can extrude SVG shapes and fill them.

2 Likes

You can import SVGs into Fusion 360 if you have it. TinkerCad is probably the simplest way if you don’t have experience.
I’m interested in your use case.

Another issue to consider is you’d be using 2 different machines, each with their own movement calibration, soo the printed inlay might not match up exactly…

1 Like

Using epoxy would be a lot easier.

1 Like

I doubt the purpose of the 3d printed inlay is the same as what you’d use epoxy for.
I hope @GregStevens isn’t trying to inlay 3D printed parts into black walnut for wall art.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.