Curriculum for 3D carving in schools

Hi Teachers,

We are starting to work on curriculum for 3D carving in schools. We have lots of smart teachers here on the forum and we were wondering if you have thoughts about the best way to go about it. What do you think? Do you have projects to contribute? What do we need beyond projects?

A teacher named Jeff Solin from Lane Tech High School in Chicago made this Mosaic Tile project to use with the kids in his classroom. It is a great way to get kids comfortable with the machine, in a reasonable time, and create something together with the class that is larger than any individual kid’s project.

We thought it was cool so we tried it at Inventables last week.

How can you help?

6 Likes

This is awesome!!

We’ve been further developing the idea. What do you think about a series of tiles like the ones pictured below that each teach a different technique or concept. The tiles get increasingly more complex to make.

1 Like

That is a fantastic idea! Especially for a teacher PD! Thanks @Zach_Kaplan

Hi Zach, are you also considering modules to cover the following. These kids are pretty sharp and some will learn at different paces so having a “stepped” curriculum really gives them something to shoot for and helps the teacher structure the learning better.

Basics

• CNC 101 (X-Carve orientation, homing, etc…)
  • Basic GRBL 101
  • Safety 101

Intermediate

• Working with imported SVG and cut depths
  • Working with multiple bits

Advanced

• Importing GRBL coded in another program
  • Feeds and speeds
  • Inlays

That’s interesting.

What would you include in the 101 and Basic GRBL?

Do you really mean GRBL or Gcode or both?

@Zach_Kaplan I really like the tile idea to get the kids thinking about what can be done. Along those same lines, magnets might be a fun idea. The kids would have to measure the magnets they’d use to install in the material. As far as general ideas, I like having my students create things that serve a functional purpose.

• Bit holder

• robot parts

• phone / tablet stand

• Enclosures for electronics projects

• PCBs (can’t wait for this one)

Right now, I am figuring things out with the Carvey, but I’m happy to contribute once I get into this more.

1 Like

Magnets would be cool. I could imagine making a wood block that you insert a magnet into and you have to calculate the wall thickness and the strength of the magnet to determine if it will work.

You could even combine it with the tile project where you embed magnets in the back but then you can hang magnetic stuff off the front of the tile.

That could be really cool!

I thought magnets right away because almost every classroom in our building has chalkboards that are becoming more obsolete, but it’s very difficult to attach anything to the sweating cinderblock walls in my classroom.

Zach,

I can think of so many ways to add carving into the manufacturing classes in our local schools. My company does Professional Development and work with integrating manufacturing equipment into their curriculum. Could you contact me to discuss further? I would like to see what sort of ideas you have.

@DevinCatron sure I’ll send you an email.

Does anyone have any feedback on these skill builders:

In order:

1. Engraving - engrave away top layer. Use digital calipers to measure top layer in HDPE

2. Pockets - deeper area, carved away “pool like”

3. Bit Changes - bit sizes 1/32 1/16 â…› use to control/improve carving time

4. Inlay Generator - App in Easel. Tolerance concept

5. Raised area on a depth - like “ONE” in original sketch. Make user conscious of diameter of bit in corners areas, etc

6. Profiling - Cutting shape/letter out, all of the way through. Tabs

7. Mechanical Motion - using Gear Generator App, add extra part “Cap” over gears
Speeds and Feeds Calculations - Feed Rate = Spindle Speed (12500 RPM) X #of flutes on bit X Chip Load (on bit chart)

8. Using Apps - Explaining how to use various apps in Easel (voronoi)

9. Living hinges - cut thin hinges, heat to fold

10. Image Trace - Using Image Trace & Threshold/Smoothing features

11. SVG Import - Easel SVG Import Guide http://easel.inventables.com/help/svg-import-guide

12. Flip Milling - register & flip over to cut other side (clock w/ movement pocket in back, numbers on front)

2 Likes

@BobJewell awesome. I’ll toss you an email and we can set up a call to discuss further. We’re going to be looking for “beta tester” classrooms.

I found out this week that I have been given an open ended opportunity to teach a STEM class this summer, 5 weeks long 45 minutes a day. I have been given the go ahead to do whatever I want (obviously within reason).

I have 2 x-carves in my school, full size, that I can use. I immediately thought about incorporating them into this STEM program, but in this short time frame I am struggling how I can use it enough to make sense. I came to the forums and searched “classroom” and came across this post.

So 1) Zach, any chance your curriculum is developed enough for someone like myself to beta test this over a 5 week summer course… which starts Tuesday!

or 2) Do any of y’all have any suggestions for me to help me out?

My early thoughts are to teach some basic skills designing SVG’s, likely using Inkscape since I am familiar with it and it is free. Then to use their designs on the x-carve. Then partway through the summer use their skills for a larger scale group project such. I am so early into the thinking process that I am sure I am overlooking some obvious things.

Also I only have very limited experience on the x-carve, we just got them a bit ago. I am a quick learner though!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hi @CoreyMousseau

That sounds exciting.

1. I’d start with the Mosiac Tile project so everyone in the class can get a quick win and you can have something quick to show for your effort that is larger than each students contribution. You might lay out the different techniques listed above and have each student do 1 technique and then present back how they accomplished it to everyone else.

2. For the second project I’d try and remake a project together as a class and have everyone post their version. This stool is probably too complicated for a second project remake but if you scroll all the way down to the bottom you can see how people posted their remakes and how they differer from the original. It’s easier to modify someone else’s design than design your own thing while you are still getting the hang of the machine and software. I’d pick one that you can open in Easel so they can edit it straight away. The simple stand or the ruler might be good for project number two.

3. For project number 3 that’s where I’d introduce the design from scratch. Let them figure out what they want to make now that they have some skills under their belts.

Does that help?

1 Like

Thanks Zach, I like the mosaic tile project as a good first project. I think I will have more to do after but its a start. If we do anything groundbreaking or worth the share for others I will post it as a follow up.

Any update on this curriculum? would love to use this in my classroom!

Yes. We’ve started doing full lessons on Easel live. Here are the ones we’ve done so far:

Inlay Cutting Boards

Personalized Holiday Ornaments

Thanksgiving Leaf Garland

Check out those we’d love your feedback!

1 Like

what about the skill builders? those would present a great structure for a semester - 10-12 projects for each student.

Yea we have a few of those too: