Custom Longboard

Hi All!

I took the Labor Day weekend to crank my machine back up and start a custom longboard project. I took inspiration from @ILikeToMakeStuff build. This project consisted of:

1. 3D milling the mold
  2. 2D milling the drop through template
  3. Building a custom vacuum bag

The mold is 48" long and the tool paths were created using Fusion360

I have a 1000mmx1000mm Shapeoko 2 so the mold had to be milled in 2 halves

The drop through template was designed in Fusion360 as well

The CNC didn’t help with the vacuum bags but they turned out well nevertheless! This is a cool way to form veneers. I see much potential in these bags.

I’m forming the veneers this week and will post updates of the progress.

4 Likes

Wow! Talk about synchronicity. I just got the 20x70 bag kit from Roarockit this weekend for my birthday. I’ll be making a pintail and drop deck for cruising around Greenlake. Can’t wait to see how yours comes out…:sunglasses:

@MidnightMaker I was tempted to buy the Roarockit bag. They’ve done a great job kitting their boards. Ultimately, I decided to cheap-out and try building a bag. We’ll see if my decision brings regret once the veneers are sealed in.

Update! Longboard is 90% complete. Only one truck cutout remains. All the CNC’ing worked out great. Vacuum bags did an amazing job compressing the maple veneers! I’m super pleased.

Great flex!

Cool shape.

4 Likes

Very cool! Where did you get the veneers and are they just wood, paper-backed or PSA? Roarockit is 3K miles away in another country, so shipping is $$$.

@MidnightMaker - Thanks! The board is 7-layers of maple veneers specifically cut for longboards/skateboards. All maple wood. Veneers came from Marwood Veneers. If you buy 10+, 7-layer sets the cost per set is reasonable. They crated and shipped for ~$25, I think.

Great work!

Did you cut the board using your CNC machine? or only for molds?

hi @KikoLobo - The boards were too long for my 1000x1000 machine, so I cut them by hand. I used the CNC for the molds and for the drop-through truck template cutout.

1 Like

lond board template.pdf (354.9 KB)
lond board template.ai (1.1 MB)

https://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/churchill-manufacturing/176915-churchill-mfg-lost-longboard-templates-found-uncut-pressed-blanks.html

2 Likes

Wow!
Thanks… Very useful!

Very nice. When I saw you mention longboard on your vacuum bag thread, I was wondering what part you would use the X-Carve to make, since I was thinking surfboard, not skateboard. I’d love to see pictures of the finished board, and video of you riding it.

Thanks @SauliusMuliolis. I completed two unfinished boards and donated them to my nephew and a young rider needing a longboard. They both were finished by the recipients and turned out great. I don’t ride. I just engineer the fun. :slight_smile:

Here are a couple of pics:

4 Likes

It very nice. It is a perfect present!
Is it Double Drop Longboard?
The double drop longboard is ideal for downhill riding and cruising. It has a truck that’s mounted across the deck, on top of which there’s a baseplate. It does not carve sharply but it can turn easily. :slight_smile: