Cutting Board Juice Grooves

Hi all,

I searched for info on this but didn’t come up with anything that helped.

I am wanting to mill a juice groove in some 1" maple cutting boards. I bought this tool for the job:

(Core Box 2-Flute Carbide Tipped Router Bit with Ball Bearing Guide, 1/4-Inch Shank)

I don’t need to mill out anything fancy, just a rectangular juice groove. Does anyone have any advice on doing this within Easel? Tool settings, DOC, radius, etc? I really don’t wanna screw up my tool or my cutting boards with trial and error, if I can get advice beforehand.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Well, I bought the bit for the size, not the bearing, figured it could just spin freely while cutting.

But I appreciate the advice! I’ll definitely try it on some scrap.

As Bob said, draw a rectangle to the size you want, set it to outline cut on path and the depth you want and go. On path should be bit size neutral.

Depending on the material, id go maybe around 50 ipm and a pretty low DOC as the deeper you go, the more material you’ll be cutting. Maybe like 0.03 to a total depth of maybe 1/8” if not less. Use scrap for finding your depth as bob suggested.

3 Likes

Personally I would do the rectangle with an “on path” cut.

doh Justin said that too

3 Likes

I do this pretty regularly in end grain cutting boards and usually the longest part of the operation is making sure the board is well fastened, and as such use feeds and speeds close to that outlined above. I usually cut on path 30mm in from the edge to a depth of 6mm.
To speed up the process when batching boards I set up a corner block with G28 set On the inside corner, the it’s just draw a rectangle, fixture the board, set zero and press play:slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you tell Easel your using a Box Core bit? I can see how to add it into the toolbox.

You dont, Easel is unaware a bowl bit is used.
Specify a straigth bit, with true diameter and carve a simple line or pocket, and the radius is given by the bowl bit.

2 Likes

Thank you for your quick reply!!! I do appreciate the help!