Cutting from a old wood template

I make cypress furniture and have my current templates on Luan plywood which I currently trace onto my cypress boards and cut with a band saw. How would I go about getting these templates onto Easel and utilizing my x carve to do all of my curved cuts? Any help appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums. I might not be the best one to say but i think if you lay them on something white and take pictures then download them and size them accordingly. Someone else may have a better idea.

2 Likes

I would trace them on computer paper along with some accurate measurements to check for scale…like a two inch line in strategic places. Then scan them on a printer/scanner and save as a pdf at 100% scale for each section. I put lines on the sections so I can re-align them all together. Then in a CAD program, open up the pdfs and save as dxf files. You can then copy and past the dxf files together into one large drawing. Easel accepts DXF I am told.

1 Like

Lay the template on white paper and use a Sharpie to trace the template. Then use your phone to take a picture, Make sure your phone is level, I set my phone on something so it stays very still. Bring the photo into Inkscape or whatever your using and redraw them.

1 Like

I have also heard of people adding a ruler to the photos so it’s easy to size.

1 Like

If using a camera/phone its good to take the pic from a distance because there will be less distortion/skewing. Camera lens level and centered over the template is a must and take care that the template dont cast large shadows which can diffuse the “line precision”.

1 Like