Cutting stars on a flag

Might be a silly question, but how do you get the cut depth of the center of a star to be deeper than the edges, or points of a star? The dept of my star is equal and flat. I’m using a v bit, so there is a little bit of an angle along the edges, but I’d like the same looks as when I cut serif type and the center is deeper than the edges.

1 Like

check this out

Cutting flag stars - Inventables Community Forum

1 Like

You’d need to set the depth such that the design depth is deep enough to form a V in the center, you can verify this in the detail preview on the right pane.
The way V bits work, depending on the bit angle, and the size of the star and the workpiece being thick enough to support a true V bottom, easel will automatically limit the depth based on those factors.

Here’s an infographic showing how the width of the carve can self limit the depth, and this is how “pockets” work as the cut type in Easel.

I use a 90degree Vbit for my Stars in the video in the thread Ken linked to, and you can see how I adjust the depths and the result in the 3d simulation pane.

Simply change the depth of cut. Look at your preview to see the center of the star. Increase the depth until the center of the star is a point. On the flags that I do the depth is approximately .2”. I have done numerous videos on the topic. Go to the XCarve playlist on my YouTube channel. Pawpawsworkshop. You’ll see many examples

1 Like

Can’t believe I didn’t think of that! Thank you for responding! I’ve watched quite a few of your videos. You do some good work, and they’ve been very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Love the graphic. Very helpful!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.