Danish oil finishing advice needed

I’m really liking the results I’m getting with Danish Oil. But now I’d like to selectively stain / tint / paint? part of a job like this yin-yang kittie coaster design. What I’d like to do is to use Danish oil but have the cut out kittie darkened some how. The photo is of a test cut in some scrap plywood, I’m thinking or pine, Tasmanian oak or possibly ply for the final version.

Whats the best way to achieve this and whats the best order of operations? Sand -> oil all over -> selective stain? -> oil? or something else?

Any tips appreciated.

I did some small boxes for gifts last year that has 2 colors effect I got using Danish Oil.

This is red oak and Dark Danish oil.

For this project I did a quick outline cut around the area I wanted to stain because I had more unstained parts to be cut on the same piece of wood.

I stained it with a light coat of dark Danish oil. I put on a very light coat because I was worried that if it penetrated too deep into the grain the carve might not cut away all the color.
(I had this happen with pine versions of the box.)

Then I did the carve over the stained area

I finished of the whole thing with Toung Oil finish. They turned out pretty good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

Whats the reason for applying sanding sealer before carving?

The design is available at: http://clipart-library.com/clipart/Acbrdajni.htm for those interested. I simply used Inkscape to vectorise and cleanup the design.

Cool!

I’ve been fixated on the idea that the carved portions of the design should be dark. I might give your way a try.

ah ha, thanks.

I recently watched this video where the artist applied a vinyl sheet before cutting, and then used that as a mask for painting. I wonder if the same could be sone with stain, or if it would bleed under, since it’s brushed and not sprayed.

A spirit/oil type stain would almost definitely bleed into the wood. A gel stain may not though as they’re thicker.